hi i have a new macbook pro whit graphic card intel iris is 2013 model, is compatible?

thorkan

Question

Hi Thorkan,

I believe your MacBook Pro has the Iris 5100 integrated graphics. I found it in this benchmark listing...

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

...where it scores 628 (enter "iris" in the search box to see the two versions in the list).

My 2009 iMac has an ATI Radeon HD 4850, which scores 620. I am able to run at least Mid under most circumstances, so I'd expect you could too. You probably will not be able to run Advanced Lighting, either because it'll be too slow, or because the viewer won't even let you enable it. The viewer may set the defaults to less than that, but you should be able to go higher. I don't believe the SL viewer is aware of the Retina Display, so I it'll run at non-retina resolution, which is probably a good thing, as your computer's full screen resolution is very high and would require the graphics adapter to draw an extraordinary number of pixels.

To put things in perspective, Intel's integrated graphics adapters, though improving, are still well behind dedicated graphics processors from NVIDIA. A top of the line NVIDIA GTX 780 scores 7918.

I wish I had better news for you, but SL does best with dedicated graphics processors.

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

Hi Thorkan,

I believe your MacBook Pro has the Iris 5100 integrated graphics. I found it in this benchmark listing...

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

...where it scores 628 (enter "iris" in the search box to see the two versions in the list).

My 2009 iMac has an ATI Radeon HD 4850, which scores 620. I am able to run at least Mid under most circumstances, so I'd expect you could too. You probably will not be able to run Advanced Lighting, either because it'll be too slow, or because the viewer won't even let you enable it. The viewer may set the defaults to less than that, but you should be able to go higher. I don't believe the SL viewer is aware of the Retina Display, so I it'll run at non-retina resolution, which is probably a good thing, as your computer's full screen resolution is very high and would require the graphics adapter to draw an extraordinary number of pixels.

To put things in perspective, Intel's integrated graphics adapters, though improving, are still well behind dedicated graphics processors from NVIDIA. A top of the line NVIDIA GTX 780 scores 7918.

I wish I had better news for you, but SL does best with dedicated graphics processors.

• Like 1

I used to play with intel HD4000 grafics and could use almost the maximum of the graphics, with this new card I should be able to use the maximum of the graphics, the problem is that sl says it does not recognize my graphics card, for this reason I can not use better graphics, as I can do to make my second life reconosca iris Blast intel 5100?

Just in case it's a matter of SLV not knowing about the Iris 5100, try this version of the viewer, which has an updated GPU table...

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alternate_Viewers

It is also possible that you've got an old settings file that's messing things up. Quit the viewer, go to Library->Saved Application State and remove the folder that's named for the viewer you are using, then relaunch the viewer.

You can get to the Library by holding down the Option key while selecting the "Go" menu in Finder.