problem with texturing in blender

It looks like your problem is in the mapping. If you move any of the pieces of your map so that they are BEYOND the texture square you are mapping to, you may have problems. If the texture is seamless you should be fine, but if not issues can occur.  ALSO if this is going to take a woodgrain texture, you would want your map to follow the direction of the wood AND be in the same proportion that it would be in real life (so it would look like the same board).

So for example, you COULD set the file to front view and select your problematic area and then choose "project from view". You would then place that mapped pieced so that it sits on the woodgrain VERTICALLY (like wood would be). That isn't actually how I would map this (smile) but trying to be simplistic here. I always use linear grain textures when mapping so that I can see the direction of the patterns, THEN I add the texture to the ambient map in my graphics program.

That is not the way many folks do it. But the point is that mapping takes time to get it looking correct. The automatic unwrapping features will work in some cases with a TILING SEAMLESS TEXTURE (so that may be your major problem here). BUT you also need to pay attention (with linear patterns) of the direction and the scale.

I have used an inset face a few times and never had an issue, but others may have some ideas there.

Here is a photo of a table texture  that has been mapped to go with the woodgrain:

mappingexample.png

• Like 1

Looking at the image to the right of the seam it looks like you have a problem with scale.  The texture in that area to the right looks stretched so I'm guessing that uv island was too small relative to the others.

After you set up your  UV's try applying your wood texture to the model in Blender by uploading it into UV space and assigning it to your UV set (highlight the uvs and then add the texture)  and set the viewing in the 3d edit window to "textured view" so you can see the texture in blender on your model.  You can move the islands around and stretch or shrink them as needed to get the kind of texture alignment and matching that  you want.

Another handy tool, which I think people don't use as much as they should, is an alignment grid.  You can select a default UV grid that Blender provides as an option when you add a texture to the UV space or upload one of your own that you prefer.  Again, set your 3d edot view to "Texture" and see how it looks on your model.  All the squares, stripes or whatever pattern you as a template use for judging, should be of equal size and in the direction you want the texture to follow.

If you plan to bake ao or filter the texture through the material system to fully bake in shadows and specularity, don't forget to re-assign those UVs to a new blank texture.

• Like 1