More memory over-usage crash woes

Arksun Tone

So I know I know, I'm still using 32-bit XP OS and should really upgrade to 64-bit with more memory, but seriously, is there no fix for the memory overloads with any viewer?

I've tried the official SL viewer, Firestorm and Singularity and with all of them, in certain sims with a lot of textures and fx, I watch my system memory usage creep up and up and up till it gets to about 1.4gig and then causes a crash (win XP 32-bit really doesn't like a single application using more than that amount of ram).

Is there any way or anything in debug of any of the viewers where I can force set a limit to how much ram is used to at least prevent crashing out completely?

Arksun Tone wrote:

Is there any way or anything in debug of any of the viewers where I can force set a limit to how much ram is used to at least prevent crashing out completely?

That's pretty much what's already happening. Applications cannot function without free RAM to dump their calculations in. The result, as you've seen, is the termination of the program. This will happen through any method of trying to limit memory allocation.

What might work for you is to use Virtual Memory, a Windows setting that allows you to use the Hard Disk as pretend memory. It's slower and (obviously) eats your diskspace temporarily, but it can avoid program terminations.

You can learn more about Virtual Memory here. You might need to experiment with these settings in order for it to work for SL (you'll need at least 2Gb of hard disk space, too).

Not sure but you might want io look in to putting your paging file onto a usb flash stick thats always plugged in. Windows Vista and 7 have the feature avaliable its called ReadyBoost. I'm sure there is a work around for Windows XP out there. Flash memory would be faster than using a hard drive especially if its an Ide drive (thick ribbon connects it to the hard drive) but flash drives only allow so many writes so 100,000 they say. So you will burn through the flash drive in a couple months or less depending on you usage. 

The real problem isn't a lack of memory or not being able to address more with a 32-bit OS, the problem is one of memory leakage, that ALL viewers seem to suffer, the memory usage just creeps up and up and up the more locations and textures get loaded, but its the unloading part that fails.  It's just bad programming imho, I don't know if thats the viewers fault, the servers, the system as a whole or what.  All I do know is, I never had this problem in the past, been on SL for 7 years now.