Viewer Crash - First time on forums

XGCSmokey30

My old account smokeylacker was hacked and messed up bout 3-4 yrs ago.

I thought id never come back but i did cause of my fiance, an now on this new computer 5 graphic cards custom built spent $16k usd on this machine.

The Second Life Viewer client keeps on crashing saying something about driver, but i just tested my drive and it says its fine.

Maybe you can tell me why? My specs are up to date, i got a new cpu fan, power supply, custom roofing motherboard.. Here if you want to know my specs they are..

Processor:

intel quad core i7 3900 series with intel sandybridge, intel 3rd Gen Core i7 Series with Intel Z77 ivybridge..

Memory :
64GB DDR5 X79 chipsets

Hard Drives:
6 internal hard drive bays
Optical Drives:
5 External optical drive bays
3 Solid State Drives & 2 Standard Drives

Graphics:
NVIDIA SLI Support, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 600 Series x3 / 3-Way SLI Support, AMD/ATI CrossfireX Support
3 Graphic Cards, 3 Video Cards.

The specifications that you listed don't tell us anything about the components that are actually installed on your computer, only what the motherboard and case will support.

Also, you say you have "5 graphics cards." That would be ridiculous overkill and your motherboard can only support 3 in any event. The "driver" the error message is referring to is a video driver and not the hard drive, which you seem to think it means.

I REALLY hope you meant you spent $1,600 on this machine and not $16,000, which is what you said you spent.  If you actually spent $16,000 you may as well give up - the person who built your computer is on a beach in Rio and laughing at you.

Do you have any sort of invoice from your computer builder that lists the installed components?

When you ask a tech question include information about your computer and viewer. If the viewer will at least show the login screen, get the info from the viewer's Help-About... and paste that into your post with your question. Help->About... provides all the version numbers we need.  To add your info to an existing question use OPTIONS->EDIT. It’s in the upper right of your post.

It also helps to know if you are using a laptop or a desktop and a wired or wireless connection.

Without that information all we can do is guess. That means you have to try all our bad guesses and eliminate them one by one. This is easier for all of us, if you give us good information to start with.

=====

You likely have a driver problem. Get the driver version by using the information above. 

You are listing Crossfire support and AMD/ATI along with nVidia. I am not sure how that works. Do different brands in the same unit work with the viewer? I doubt it, I would expect that to confuse the viewer. The info from the above will tell us what the viewer is finding.

If you have the latest drivers for nVidia installed, you should be getting automatic notice of driver updates.

The basic troubleshooting process is to tturn you viewer settings to Graphics LOW before logging in. 

There are viewer logs. You don't say which OS you use, so I'll assume you are using Windows. You will find them in:
C:\Users\[Win_Login_ID]\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\logs

Look for: SecondLife.log. Start from the end of the file and work your way toward the beginning. Look for error and warning messages. They may give you a more precise idea of what is wrong.