second life crashes with GTX 650 graphics card

Lizzie Firelyte

hi,

i just upgraded to a brand new Geforce GTX 650 graphics card today.  everything worked fine this afternoon when i tried second life out.  but then while i was chatting with a friend i lost my ability to fly.  the next time i tried logging into second life it crashed right away. now it crashes every time i login right away.  i have checked and the graphics card driver is up to date.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3340 CPU @ 3.10GHz (3093 MHz)
Memory: 8101 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 650/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.3182
OpenGL Version: 4.4.0

You can search on your graphics card model for others having problems.

You video card is not going to have anything to do with whether you can fly or not.

A video card can crash you on login. To troubleshoot that, before logging in turn you graphics settings to LOW. If that stops the crashing, it is video related.

If not, look at the SecondLife.log file. You will find it in: C:\Users\[Win_login_ID]\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\logs.

Start at the end of the file and read backwards looking for error and warning notices. They may give you an idea of what is wrong. There is a crash log file in the same folder, but it is for the Lab's analysis software to read and rather hard to read.

If you had the Viewer installed and then changed the video card, you may need to delete the settings.xml file to return the viewer to default settings and force a reconfiguration of the video settings. That file is in: C:\Users\[Win_login_ID]\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\user_settings. Close the viewer, delete the file or rename it, then restart the viewer, and login.

I have the Ti version of the GTX650. I get very stable results with these graphics settings:

Quality slider half way between Mid and High.

Disabled Advance Lighting.

Disabled Shadows.

Water reflections minimal.

Draw distance 128m.

Disabled Avatar Cloth.

I have the same OS as you, the same CPU except mine is 2nd gen (yours is newer 3rd gen), the same amount of RAM. I use the current default LL viewer and the current NVIDIA driver. The 650 is a relatively inexpensive card and my experience is that it runs SL well only at moderate graphic settings. For the price, I think it's pretty good.

I have the Ti version of the GTX650. I get very stable results with these graphics settings:

Quality slider half way between Mid and High.

Disabled Advance Lighting.

Disabled Shadows.

Water reflections minimal.

Draw distance 128m.

Disabled Avatar Cloth.

That shows again that the second number of the card is indeed more important then the 1st, the generation number. Because with my 5 y/o Zotac GTX 260 I run everything on Ultra but Advanced Litghing, have full water reflections and 256m DD. And for photos I can even turn on Adv Light + Shadows.

That shows again that the second number of the card is indeed more important then the 1st, the generation number. 

Both numbers are pretty important. What the settings differences actually show in this case is that the other poster is more interested in framerate and you're more interested in image quality, because their GTX 650 Ti is quite a bit more performant than your GTX 260. Can quibble about benchmarks, but  2696 vs 1117 is a real difference. The OP's non-Ti version of that 650 is about halfway in-between at 1827, so non-numbers are also critically important in nVidia's obfuscated product naming. (Oh, as evidence the second number does indeed matter "more", the GTX 660 clocks in at 4110 and its Ti version at 4691.)

Anyway, Nalate's suggestion is really the best way for the OP to progress toward resolution.