Using detailed real world bio information on profile

Starlua0

I need help for this, I did some search but found anything yet.

Its about how much info one uses on profile, from what you are IRL, ofc excluding name, address and such, but age, job hobbies...

I mean is it safe to be open on your profile info about your RL, since I am socially active, I get friends and I read other ppl details too sometimes. Some players have nothing on their BIO, some players have SL bio(for whatever fantasy they have), but nothing on real world bio.

And some players reveal their info after I have gotten friends with them.

So my profile is quite open, I am honest in irl too, should I be honest and keep it in SL profile and tell my RL self or should I hide details from what I am RL? and be more anonymous, like most are there

Is it security/harrasment or any kind of issue that could lead you into trouble in SL?

Thanks for any advice given, I may ask for my friends opinion for this too.

I'm not sure of LL's legal rules about this but I would say, from my perspective, that putting your phone number, email address, home address is not a sensible idea. For your own safety these should only be given to people on a need ot know basis. Whatever we might like to think of the people in SL there are some real nutters out there and you'd be mad to open yourself up to them and their scams, lies and schemes.

Before I left here a year or so ago I had no personal information about me. I was a police officer and the thought of turning up at someone's house to arrest them and them saying 'oh i've seen you in Second Life' wasn't a thing I was keen to get into, and it could have happened, after all if I was living a 2nd life doesn't mean criminals weren't.

Just be safe and sensible. Not everyone will use your information for good.

Thanks there are ofc no phone number, real name, such things in my bio, just age, hobbies, occupation, country from where I am.

But i might think its better to be safe and hide some RL information, and tell it to friends only if ask.

BTW i respect your job, good to see police officer, I know some by irl too, I have also had "security" types jobs in my life, but different than yours I can tell if need :), but just not on this forum.

Not everyone approaches Second Life the same way. I'll speak only for myself but I know there are many who have approaches similar to mine.

I don't put anything about RL on my profile. My 'RL Photo' is an image clipped from Google or somewhere.

I don't consider myself a 'player'.  I never expected SL to be a game, and I'd never played any of the multiplayer online games, so for me SL was an entirely new experience. I try to avoid people who think this is a game. I try to avoid people who think RL is a game, and for the same reasons.

The people I've spent a lot of time communicating with over the years probably know a lot about my RL by now, if they have good memories. Actually they don't even need good memories because I'm sure I tell the same stories over and over.

Unless you are already an Internet public person—someone who has an internet presence in his/her own name, like a musician or actor or politician—there's no reason at all to have any valid RL info in your profile (and more than one reason not to).

For people like me (and I stress that while I am far from unique and my outlook is shared by lots of others, there are those for which this IS a game) RL doesn't really matter here.  I'm here and my thoughts and attitudes are real. My conversations here are no different than conversations in RL. Second Life is a world that lets us be whoever/whatever we want to be visually but still interact with each other in the same ways we would if we were in Real Life.

Thanks dillon for answer, I have similar approach as you to SL.

I consider this really a "second life" not game, i respect ppl here and except same for others..

And no I am no public person, but due my job history and quite social RL too, i might be someknown, but none of my RL friends use SL(yeah use not play, see the difference here)

Starlua0, a word of caution:

Despite her claim to the contrary, Dillon's RL photo is real. Hiding in plain site works better than most people think. My RL photo is also real, though I was not terribly happy when the shot was snapped, as that blonde lady wouldn't stop sticking her fingers in my ears. I also happen to be one of those people who plays both RL and SL as a game in which I (usually) try to maximize the number of winners. Nevertheless, or for that reason, people seem to put up with me.

Regarding the sharing of RL information, I'm pretty circumspect. RL hasn't got anything quite analogous to an SL profile, but if it did, I'd leave it blank. I do not have vanity license plates, my home phone number is unpublished/unlisted and my old business website listed a colleague's office address. I worked from home.

I don't mind being memorable, but I like to have some control over the circumstances. For the most part, I prefer to be anonymous. There are, of course, times and places I will leave behind identifying information, but when I do, it's generally with one or a few individuals I've had at least a moment to assess, as in introducing myself to new people, or because it's necessary, as in handing my credit card to the waiter or my driver's license to the cute police officer ;-)

When you put information in your SL profile, it's viewable by anyone at any time, without your knowledge. Much of what you say online is permanent and spread about, allowing people to come along at any time and piece together a picture of you, perhaps out of context and constructed from fragments, that is not at all like the picture you have of yourself. That's reason enough for me to be careful about what I reveal online. And because I've been circumspect, death threats here (I've only had one, but I'm not done yet) don't keep me up at night.

That said, my closest friends here have some idea what my real life is like, and would probably be able to identify me at a party by recognizing the stories that, like Dil, I tell over and over again, or perhaps because someone will call me "Maddy". But even absent the stories and the name, I believe people who are comfortable with me here would be comfortable with me in RL... perhaps moreso as I'm much more careful with fire there.

I have no RL information in my profile and never have.  I am myself in SL, I don't play a character or roleplay.  I don't find it is necessary to have to have RL info or for people to know a lot of specifics about me to have good cavitations about any number of subjects .  Only those that I am close to in SL and who have earned my trust know much about my RL and even that came about naturally through having conversations not some big reveal.

Like Maddy, I am a private person in RL too.  I have an unlisted phone, I don't do facebook, twiitter or other social media, If you googled my RL name you'd get zip on me. 

Actually I prefer not to know RL info in SL until it is necessary or it comes about naturally. Without preconceived notions  I find we can get to know each other better before all the stuff about age, jobs, social status etc. colors how we see each other. 

Starlua0 wrote:

I mean is it safe to be open on your profile info about your RL,...

It's the internet, what could go wrong?!

Starlua0 wrote:

So my profile is quite open, I am honest in irl too, should I be honest and keep it in SL profile and tell my RL self or should I hide details from what I am RL? and be more anonymous, like most are there

In RL do you walk around with a sign above your head with personal information posted?  When you're at the grocery, the park, or going to a movie...are the other people able to see your name, age, where you work and/or live?  How about your phone number? 

It's not about being honest, it's about privacy.  Unless you walk around in RL broadcasting personal information to random strangers, I'm not sure why you'd do it here. 

I limit my RL tab to what someone could catch by being in a car that passes me on the highway.  A quick glance.   If they're standing next to me in the library in RL, they may hear my voice, so in SL, they can get that too.  (But, only if they come to the library to hear me ; )

What's the point of telling everybody about what a loser you are, what your defecation routines are, that you are stalking your co-worker in the accountancy office, that you are a secret Belieber  . . .

That's what Facebook and Twitter are for.

Do as the smart people here do. (And Dillon as well)

Lie.

**********Rudi**********

Starlua0 wrote:

I need help for this, I did some search but found anything yet.

Its about how much info one uses on profile, from what you are IRL, ofc excluding name, address and such, but age, job hobbies...

I mean is it safe to be open on your profile info about your RL, since I am socially active, I get friends and I read other ppl details too sometimes. Some players have nothing on their BIO, some players have SL bio(for whatever fantasy they have), but nothing on real world bio.

And some players reveal their info after I have gotten friends with them.

Is it security/harrasment or any kind of issue that could lead you into trouble in SL?

Thanks for any advice given, I may ask for my friends opinion for this too.

Would you make a signboard with your adress, name, age, telephonenumber, your job and so on and stand within the most public place in the biggest city of your country and hold that signboard up so everyone can read it?

Probably not, but that would be somehow compareable to what it would be like to display all these informations in your profile. Privacy and not displaying your whole biography on the internet has nothing to do with being less honest about yourself.

If someone has all RL info on their profile I consider that profile as empty since there is nothing of interest in it.

This is SL not RL and thats my approach to SL.

I don't want to discuss that nor do I care - I just wanted to show you that there are completely different ways to use SL.

Besides of that I think it's a pretty bad idea to reveal too much info to the world for security reasons but that you will find out or not. Do you really want to piss off one of the maniacs for a reason you can't even imagine that knows or can retrieve your RL location? hahaha

Celestiall Nightfire wrote:

In RL do you walk around with a sign above your head with personal information posted?  When you're at the grocery, the park, or going to a movie...are the other people able to see your name, age, where you work and/or live?  How about your phone number?

I've been known to give a random stranger my phone number before... but only if he's really cute. :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

...Dres

there's no need to beat a dead horse over this, but the information people gave you here is basically correct. The true answer is do what you feel comfortable doing. If you don't mind having your phone number, address and RL name all over your profile, then by all means, do that. But...be prepared for the consequences that come from doing that.

The only RL information I have on that tab is that I'm 3 hours ahead of SL time. If someone asks me, I'll tell them what state I live in (often the state of insanity or intoxication, depending on my mood :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:) or that I'm married but that's about it. That being said, a few of my close SL friends are also friends on FB or have my email address. But these are people that I trust and it took about a year to earn that trust. I am also FB friends with them and have their emails, so it goes both ways.

So, bottom line is that I wouldn't give out too much personal information on the RL tab of your profile...again, what time zone you're in or what state you live it..but it's what you're comfortable with. Don't let anyone else tell you what you should or shouldn't have on your RL tab of your profile.

The question you have to ask yourself is:

"Is there anyone I know, whether they are relations, friends, colleagues, neigbours, who you wouldn't want to know that you play Second Life, or wouldn't want to know about your SL identity?"  

If the answer to that question is "yes", then don't put detailed RL info on your profile.  

'So my profile is quite open, I am honest in irl too, should I be honest and keep it in SL profile and tell my RL self or should I hide details from what I am RL? and be more anonymous, like most are there'

The comparison is a bit flawed. I usually don´t leave my house wearing a spreadshirt-tee with my hobbies,sexual orientation and the like on it in blockprint. No idea why more people in sl should know about my hobbies than there do irl. If you want to be honest, there´s no need to put it on your profile, just don´t tell a friend you make in sl you play football while in fact you go to ballet classes when the topic comes up in conversation. And generally my reply to 'detailed real world bio information on profile' is no. There are great people in sl and there are the not so great. And it´s amazing what you can find out about people since the internet with the right searchterms. Better keep the 'detailed rl info' for those you do trust. And don´t trust anyone ;)