Is Second Life An Ghost Town?

Also, sims come and go, hangouts come and go. A sim that was busy a year ago can very well be dead now.

One way to find out places to be is to check peoples picks, they might give a hint. Music venues are typically only busy during live events and dead otherwise. If you use the LL viewer, the login page will also give you some direct links to sims that are currently busy. TPVs may or may not have that.

Second Life is a huge place. Just open the world map and see. There are about 30 000 regions in SL (a region is an area 256 meters x 256 meters). Thus even if there were some 60 000 avatars online and you go randomly exploring places it may well happen that you will meet very few people - or even none at all. Those 60 000 avatars are scattered all over SL regions.

All the green dots you see on the map are avatars. Teleport to places where you see concentrations of the green dots. There might be a club, a dancing place, a live concert, or something else going on which draws people there.

Well according to the SL Statistics only between 42,957 - 53,000 residents are online daily and between 300-494 new residents are signed up daily. During the summer it was much higher on avg 60,000 residents.

I'm going to go ahead and agree with most of you that it could be any of those possibilies but most likely as Amethyst Jetaime put it; it's likely folks are preparing for christmas or the holidays depending on what they believe in.

JustBecauseICanBeFriendly wrote:

Well according to the SL Statistics only between 42,957 - 53,000 residents are online daily

You are looking at concurrency, that is the number logged in simultaneously, not the total number who log in daily.  The number of total login's is actually much higher.

I don't think LL releases the total login numbers any more but Rod has said it's over a million active users per month.  Link

Second Life is full of life. It seems to be like everywhere in the world. Interesting places are visited by much more people in the same time. You just need to find them with well known techniques, like those forum members already gave. Think about, what you would usually do to meet people. By the way, there are daily roughly 1.000.000 (one million!) residents logged in to Second Life.

Even with that in mind, there's no denying SL is a lot quieter than it used to be. I remember when concurrency was higher than 80k. Almost double what it is these days.

LL really needed to take some steps to make SL work better and make it more user friendly that they never did, so it's always been an uphill battle to keep the momentum going.

For those who actually care and are maybe seeing this, SL may seem like a gohst town to some for different reasons.

Let's explore these on a personal level, a statistics level and historical level.

Personal views, which are what people may ponder when relating to the title may be due to both new people who have not found others in concentration expected or to the aging avatar and how things have changed for them personally. In this case the aging avatar is not seeing a historical based statistically provable change, though they may percieve one happening. This one is more of a focus, so I will quickly say that a new person may have been misled or simply comparing SL to other mediums. Forums, chat rooms, video chat all have larger participants than you may find at a location in SL. So some facts first. SL sims don't usually hold more than 20-40 people, Some may hold 50. But that is a simulator, a 256x256 meter area (roughly 16 acres, which is a more than a few football fields) that may have multiple locations seperated. To look at the map and say each simulator could have 20, at least, avatars on average (some less so due to scripts and usage and homestead sims etc.) you could argue SL is empty compared to it's capacity. This is true. Historically, SL had concurrency hovering around 30, 000 or so at non peak hours and 50, 000 at peak hours when I started. I think it used to get to around 90, 000 concurrency around about the time it was in it's overall peak growth and asset servers where failing and chat had troubles. SO, if old SL (which they claim they have improved the servers tremendously since then) could hold around 60-90 thousand, then you can't claim SL as now being a ghost town as a whole. The irony is, since improvements lead to faster usage times because people had to wait less time for assets, chat was not failing and leaving people IMing 10 people one after the other to find out things or rely info in place of group chat, and so on....well, you see my point. More users, less time = lower concurrency BUT higher population.

Concurrency does count though, to those who address the concept of a town meaning SL as a whole. The world experienced as town is a far cry from your personal life experience as a member of a social groups that are a subset of towns, cities, larger organizations (the accounting department) and so on. Concurrency also proves that once someone has used chat, rezzed something to check it or otherwise used some kind of SL feature they are done. They don't do any more socializing, the town is thus dead to them. They are not needing to live there, so this is as close to defining a ghost town as one really can, concurrency is not the whole SL experience in one number. In fact, forums, blog comments and posts and so on are all part of the SL community! They are not in SL, but do count as participation in this "town" and the definition of town is not really the same as a real town. SL doesn't have permanent concious beings as part of it. Your concience interacts with it, and does not 'dwell' entirely in a fashion that puts enough and majority life sustaining dependence on SL's servers or whatever. You don't pee there, and the pee has to travel through sewers where you are at. So you cannot claim to exist there. So there are no "towns" and I had this argement with a post humanist once, or at least questioned at a debate. Really didn't I just explain why the law says no? Well, they do have a point. Offshore entities and corporations that have tax write offs prove that if the persons wants to get significant removal from participating in a system they need to be tied to a physical entity and exist mainly as a member of a corporate entity, thus they can claim to not be human. Many people will agree they are monsters, destroy the world and use them. Of course they mean bad companies, but more or less they say "corporates" and "corporate types" and if you eat at you corp cafateria, do yoga at it's gym, sleep in a company provided bed thingy (like SL has those break sleep chair thingies lol) you eventually are a "corporate type" in more than just a way of speaking! You get your food tax written off, your yoga and sleep/nap technology as well! At home, you spend and pay taxes. So, give yourself a $1 paycheck, buy all your real world non corp stuff paid off and owned. Then live in your company office, but don't claim to live there....wait, sure make some dorms or something lol. HEY, buy a company house or rent and go on vacatio.....ok, travel "on busines" and so on. Vacations, dining, boat rides, fancy air flight and all of that company provided. Heck, company underwear and dry cleaning...yes, dry cleaning for your underwear...they did it in Japan! NO joke, seriously. Basically, you end up not lonely.

Which brings us back to the topic. Wait there is a faste way to do this....what do you mean by Ghost Town? I mean, I should just ask, right? Like it matters....uh, but yeah...

Syntax Error. SPECIFICATIONS paramater not defined.

Your definition of a ghost town and anothers may differ. I will turn to the speach writers favorite, websters.

/me Stands up at a podium and clears throat

"Websters defines /me lifts hands to indicate qoutes and look nervously at the crowd "a 'Ghost Town' to be...Hey, wait a minute! You mean it's full of spies?" /me walks off podium and ignores weird people and thier silliness and continued harrassment.