tier payment made - sim erased - what to do?

Raena Parx

Question

If the Region is offline, you would need to submit a case with Support. Request for the Region to be re-opened so that you may collect your items.

The Resident who accepted your funds, does have a Contract with you. You have legal options outside of SL, but those options can be costly. If the Resident doesn't live in the same Country as you, that can further complicate matters.

When I rent land, I only rent week to week. I look for land dealers who own multiple Regions, and who are long standing members of SL. 

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-contact-customer-support/ta-p/739385

• Like 1

4 answers to this question

If the Region is offline, you would need to submit a case with Support. Request for the Region to be re-opened so that you may collect your items.

The Resident who accepted your funds, does have a Contract with you. You have legal options outside of SL, but those options can be costly. If the Resident doesn't live in the same Country as you, that can further complicate matters.

When I rent land, I only rent week to week. I look for land dealers who own multiple Regions, and who are long standing members of SL. 

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-contact-customer-support/ta-p/739385

• Like 1

I have to disagree with Knowl.  He's right that your only recourse to recover your rent is RL legal action, but he is, I'm afraid, wrong about you having a legal contract that could be enforced by RL legal action.

In contract law, there are several things that must happen for a binding contract to exist.  One of these things is that there must be at least two "competent parties" to enter into the contract.

As avatars, we are not "competent parties".  User names are not personal identification and both parties to any SL "agreement" are anonymous.  Therefore, neither party is competent to enter into a contract, in the eyes of the law.  This is why LL does not enforce agreements between residents.

However, on a more practical level, any RL legal action is going to cost you far, FAR more than the $L9,000 (about $36.00 USD)

Your best bet is to kiss the money goodbye and file the support case with LL to get the region back oin line long enough for you and other residents to retrieve your objects.

• Like 1

Only competent parties may accept the Terms of Service. Users are responsible for their accounts. There is a Bills of Exchange Act and it is the reason why LL created a transactions page for Residents. There are international monetary policies and that is why MP merchants need to file forms for the IRS. There are Federal mandates established by the State Department on how, who, and where funds can be transferred and that explains the hoops in getting L$. Money is a form of consideration and is considered by the Courts as a cause for action.

I completely agree that going to Court for $36 bucks is Wasting the plaintiff's time and it is definitely wasting the court's time. My comment was only a reminder to any Resident who may suffer a significant L$ loss in SL, that there is recourse. This isn't a lawless world. Our comments may be archived here for some time.