Deleting inventory with items in outfits warning

Thoth Mason

I'm told that when you delete an inventory item that's part of an "outfit" that you're supposed to get a warning.  In fact, I've seen this warning demonstrated by others.

I don't get the warning.  SL will happily let me delete items that are part of an outfit.  I don't dare run a purge now, because I had assumed the warning would have prevented a mistake...

Does anyone know why I wouldn't see this warning and other friends do?

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

You may have inadvertently turned it off.  Go to Preferences>Notifications to check out if this is the case and reactivate it.

I have never seen that warning in my entire time in SL (using the LL 1.2x viewer, Nicholaz, Phoenix, CoolVL Viewer, and not Singularity) so just checked my viewer.  Unless I'm looking at something entirely difterent, notifications in Singularity are called Popups (Preferences->Popups).  I looked through the list and am getting some of the popups/notifications (ie. a notice when I turn Busy on, one that tells me when clothing is taking a long time to download, etc.)  I didn't see one indicating notification if I delete part of a set (I'm assuming, for example, if an outfit has 10 pieces and I delete 4 of them -  I do that when I won't use certain pieces) so now I'm curious.

I'm pretty sure the warning you're referring to is about no copy items. That option would be under pop-ups.

There is  no warning in any viewer I've ever seen that says "you are only deleting part of this outfit" or anything remotely similar to that. So not sure what warning your friends have showed you, but it's entirely possible they're confused about what the warning actually is.

Thoth Mason wrote:

I'm told that when you delete an inventory item that's part of an "outfit" that you're supposed to get a warning.  In fact, I've seen this warning demonstrated by others.

I don't get the warning.  SL will happily let me delete items that are part of an outfit.  I don't dare run a purge now, because I had assumed the warning would have prevented a mistake...

Does anyone know why I wouldn't see this warning and other friends do?

The warning is for when that item has LINKS pointing to it, as in when you create an outfit in the "Appearance" panel of a newer viewer, which makes an outfit that actually consists of bookmark-like links to the items in other parts of your inventory. You'll get a warning about deleting an object that has links pointing to it - actually it's a separate warning that comes AFTER "Do you want to delete this item?" The warning only shows up after you select "Yes."

If you change your outfits the old-school way by putting the actual objects in folders and then dragging them onto you there are no links, though, so there are no dependencies as with links and you won't get the warning.

Yes, you're right. In SL lingo an "Outfit" is something which is created to outfits folder with links to the original items. That warning comes only if one is about to delete something from ordinary folders which item has a link in one or many outfits.

If one makes something by copying things to an ordinary folder it is not not an outfit in SL terms. Thus no warning comes when deleting something from there. Which is natural as there are no links to anywhere.