Jump to content

Land Ratings - User Reviews : Suggestion?


Foxximus
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just a suggestion I think could help sim owners, businsesses and new people find a place to go that is actually active, or actually has good activities. Feel free to expand on this but I think it would be nice in search to have a 1-5 star rating system or a like/dislike meter with maybe some user commentary.

Traffic seems to only tell you that either people afk there or leave bots on their sim. I'd prefer to know if there is a nice staff, or otherwise active group or regulars that are there. Also there are too many newbie hubs that could literally scare newbies away from Second Life, just my suggestion however open ended it may be. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It would be easy enough to implement some form of IP authentication to make sure multiple people aren't rating the same thing. Regardless it would help identify problemed areas for businesses too, regardless if they were doing an alt army to do their ratings to begin with, cause there would be valid concerns placed there where a land owner may not always be present.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Foxximus wrote:

It would be easy enough to implement some form of IP authentication to make sure multiple people aren't rating the same thing.

Nope, IP tracking stops nothing (and one of LL's two implementations of it frequently bans innocent people). Proxies exist, IPs are often dynamic. There's no realistic way for LL to provably test that humans are unique (and they've tried, oh how they've tried).


Foxximus wrote:

Regardless it would help identify problemed areas for businesses too, regardless if they were doing an alt army to do their ratings to begin with, cause there would be valid concerns placed there where a land owner may not always be present.

Yeah, good luck here. Landowners won't want public reviews (because again, they'll be gamed - rivals will post junk reviews as currently happens on the Marketplace). Private reviews might be useful, but the functionality already exists (IM, notecard, dropboxes, suggestion dialogs, etc) - it'll just be one more thing for landowners to check (and probably forget about/ignore).

Not rehashing this further, byee.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well no need to re-hash it further yourself then if you are un-interested, though the idea still stands as a good one in some way, it is somewhat open ended as it could be implemented in some way to improve things greatly. Even if the residents posting reviews have to have and account for maybe a minimum of 90 days or something like that. There's a lot of variables that could make it work in a somewhat accurate way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Foxximus wrote:

Just a suggestion I think could help sim owners, businsesses and new people find a place to go that is actually active, or actually has good activities. Feel free to expand on this but I think it would be nice in search to have a 1-5 star rating system or a like/dislike meter with maybe some user commentary.

Traffic seems to only tell you that either people afk there or leave bots on their sim. I'd prefer to know if there is a nice staff, or otherwise active group or regulars that are there. Also there are too many newbie hubs that could literally scare newbies away from Second Life, just my suggestion however open ended it may be.
:)

Used to be able to rate  forumites and profiles.. Those went poof fairly fast. griefers would down vote anyone they came across and swarm to down vote a store that banned them. Bad idea all around. Want to know about a place? Read their covenant an go there. Write a notecard for yourself about it. Hell you could start leaving reviews of places in the Favorite Destinations section of the forums.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ratings would be a very bad idea.  People would pay others to rate their land high.  Some would rate  place low if they have  a grudge against the owner.  And most would be apathetic and not rate it anyway regardless of how they feel about it, just like MP ratings. 

Ratings would be subjective anyway.  What you love about a place maybe the same thing I hate about it.  For instance a venue may get a high rating from a ton of newbs and people that won't spend any money inworld because they give out a lot of free stuff and have tons of contests to win L's.  I don't like going to places like that personally and it isn't fair to the great venues that strive to attract people because they offer a quality experience and the people that go there are more interested in having a good time than getting free stuff.

Any rating would not be reliable as a result.  Also if places were rated we'd also be subjected to staff begging for ratings just like they beg for 'linden love' now.  Just one more thing to hate.

As to your reasons for wanting ratings....

Bots have no effect on traffic if the owner registered them as scripted agents. If they didn't and they are caught there are severe consequences.  Also illegal is parking a bunch of alts on  your land, camping or anything else that would game traffic.  Owner's that engage in these practices also face severe consequences.  If you suspect traffic is being gamed, you can AR if you have any proof.

Just because someone isn't talking in public chat doesn't mean they are AFK.  They could very well be having lively conversations with people at the same venue in IM or in conference with a bunch of others.  Personally I prefer that as do a lot of people.  I only pay attention to or use public chat if I am at a place where I hang out regularly, where I know most of the people and the chat isn't the usual inane gestures and banalities.

A lot of places may be very active, just not in the times you go there.  Many don't have things going on 24/7 and even those that may aren't going to attract a lot of people at times when log ins are low.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


jwenting wrote:

indeed, and it is well known to happen anywhere such systems are implemented.

It's in part (big part?) what killed the old "vote boxes" that sim owners could place (and some still have).

 

Anyone using a vote box still is a fool.  They haven't had any effect on traffic for years.  The only thing they do is contribute to lag because its just another script running for no reason.  Vote boxes stopped working by 2007 shortly after LL stopped paying 'dwell' to venue owners in mid 2006.  They are no longer included in the Library either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its a great idea in theory.

One would think it'd work a bit like yelp or something - let the people rate a place, and the good stuff rises to the top.

But past experience for SL has shown that the format makes it too easy to exploit results up or down (then again, its happened a few times that businesses have been caught reviewing themselves online - my favorite example being an episode of one of Gordon Ramsey's UK make reataurant shows, where he brought the fake reviews right to the owner and got a confession on camera).

Even legit reviews are not exactly ideal. I've rarely been impressed with any of the places that get high reviews on Yelp. Mostly its taught me that my preferences do not match those of a 20s Causcasian hipster. Something I kind of suspected already. :)

 

All over SL you can find places with various 'vote for me' signs. Some of these are hooked into websites with scoring, some are remainder signs from back when LLs ran such a program that people rez now for kicks or which are... still there... from 2005 and such... because the owner hasn't been around in years...

- And that brings up another set of issues. Lets say I had a place in 2009 that got 40,000 votes because it was all that. I then leave but keep paying my tier bill, and the place doesn't get a single update.

You come along in 2013 and make a place in the same theme that is way better than mine, and uses all up to date low lag scripts and items...

But you have 0 votes, and I have 40,000...

Good luck with that one. :)

Or we could build in vote decay - and then we more or less just have a traffic scoring system. Which we... already have... Except it only records traffic of people who click.

(And if a prim based voter - how long before somebody buries the voter halfway into a door you have to click to open to get into the build? :D)

 

Because these things are easy to 'game', and yet also so highly taste specific, and tastes as well as quality change over time - the best system is just to "keep up with the Resident Jones" and talk to folks with similar interests.

 

 

Now what I think might be a good idea... is ranking places by interest in search.

For example, I could click on one of the interests in my or your profile, and see the top 10 places people with that interest visit, in order - along with average time spent there. Even better, let me mix two interests and then see the results.

- Then for parcel owners, let them see the top 10 interests of visitors, along with the average L$'s spent on things in the parcel. And the average script memory of the people with those top 10 interests.

(If you thing all of this is too complex, log in to Google Analytics sometime.)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Amethyst Jetaime wrote:


jwenting wrote:

indeed, and it is well known to happen anywhere such systems are implemented.

It's in part (big part?) what killed the old "vote boxes" that sim owners could place (and some still have).

 

Anyone using a vote box still is a fool.  They haven't had any effect on traffic for years.  The only thing they do is contribute to lag because its just another script running for no reason.  Vote boxes stopped working by 2007 shortly after LL stopped paying 'dwell' to venue owners in mid 2006.  They are no longer included in the Library either.

seems they now go to some external 3rd party service instead, not sure if that one works but you get some URL for "results" if you click one.

Most are probably still around for sentimental reasons, just never removed from places that used to have them for years and years and moved a few meters once in a while when the place is redecorated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...