the red mist you see before your avatar appears will not go away. i have cleared my cache

ChicCheri

5 answers to this question

Clearing cache will make no difference at all, except that it will make everything rez more slowly for a while. A large cache is much better than an empty one, because it means that your viewer does not need to download each texture again each time you encounter it in world.

When to clear your cache:
  • When textures are not rezzing properly, you may choose to clear your texture cache.
  • When your inventory is not loading fully, you may choose to clear your inventory cache.
  • When you toggle the HTTP Get Textures setting in your viewer, texture cache needs to be cleared.
  • A cache clear is part of performing a clean install.

As Knowl says, you should be solving your bake fail problem with the solutions at http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_bake_fail

If this is happening to you often, you are dealing with a weak or flaky Internet connection.  It has nothing to do with its bandwidth.  The problem is that you are either getting interference or data loss along the way, or something is occasionally blocking your data flow.  SL is very picky about having a steady, solid data flow.  If you have been using wireless, get rid of it. Use cable connections to your router and modem.  If you haven't been rebooting your router periodically to clear its RAM, develop the habit.  Every few weeks, just unplug it from the power for a few minutes, then plug it back in and restart your computer.

• Like 1

It might have made some difference in the pre-SSA days, because clearing cache forces your viewer to download a whole mess of data including -- in the old days -- copies of your avatar appearance files. Those files no longer reside on your computer, though, so that logic no longer applies. You may have noticed that even before SSA, Firestorm removed any mention of clearing cache from their bake fail wiki recommendations.

The main connection between inventory and bake fail these days is that when you log in, your avatar's appearance is loaded from the servers AFTER your inventory cache is updated. If you have a slow or unreliable Internet connection -- or if you simply have a HUGE inventory -- your inventory will load slowly, so it will take a while before your appearance rezzes. That's why we usually tell people in Answers now that if you have a chronic bake fail problem, you need to pay attention to your Internet connection.

Rolig - Your analysis is very true - Tip! - Never do a Clear Group Cache at the same time as a Clear My Cache - Why? I discovered that our rendered and resolved avatar textures are now stored in the Group Cache. So you can rebuild your inventory & be seen properly as long as you don't try to change your appearance. Unfortunately, the person having the issue has usually performed the Test Avatar option which blows that old rendered look away. :)

I sure wish Linden Lab would make available a nice flowchart that shows the new login flow mechanics for us. This trial & error testing to learn these things while fun is getting tedious.