is the new mac mini a good choice for playing second life?

June Pey

Question

It may depend on what graphics card it has in it.  If you have an option, avoid models with an integrated Intel grapics chip and go for one that has a dedicated graphics card.  Your graphics card makes more difference to a quality experience in SL than almost any other component of your machine.

3 answers to this question

It may depend on what graphics card it has in it.  If you have an option, avoid models with an integrated Intel grapics chip and go for one that has a dedicated graphics card.  Your graphics card makes more difference to a quality experience in SL than almost any other component of your machine.

It can't be as bad what we have now.

I didn't try SL on my old pc with a Nvidia GT 240. Now I have GT 530.

It keeps crashing if I want a good picture. Its set now on Mid quality.

I wonder why SL is running so bad on a almost 3 year old computer with Windows 7 and quad core machine with 6 gb of ram. Most computers have no more then 2.5 ghz. So far I haven't seen a really faster pc with Intel core in Holland. Even the I7 is not really faster.

I am considering a mac mini also with I7. But with 4 gb ram it looks poor and the Intel 4000 graphic card. Even the Iris option is not good I guess.

The given cards of SL for Windows and Apple are totally different.

Should be running on a normal videocard and not an expensive one for the last games. Which I don't have. I even play still a game from 1998. lol Its Quake. I have newer, but even the newer give some problems. Two games of Unreal. But my dvd burner broke after exactly 1 year. So I can't install that one any more. Just drivers from internet.

Maybe its waiting for the new Mac and operating system.  You even can run Windows easily I heard. If you have it of course.

• Like 1