malicious link?

Lana Tomba

I have a bad feeling about a link someone sent me in world. It directed me to my account page and logged me out. I logged back in promptly and reset my password. The person who sent this to me said it was a marketplace link for new mesh items. I deleted my payment info but still feel as if  I will wake tomorrow with a sh** storm awaiting me. Any suggestions?

It sounds like you did the right things. But when you "logged back in promptly and reset my password" did you use the link that was sent to you or type in the URL yourself? The problem is when someone sends you a link that looks real but is really a fake web site (often a copy of the real one) to  gather pass words. For example, if you click on  something.com you might think you will be taken to "something .com" but will really go to my site. So, if you changed your password by getting to the site with their link, you should go to the site directly, typing in the URL, and change your password again. If you got to the site by typing in the URL and then changed your password, you should be OK.

It would be a good idea to go to your account page for that and other accounts (credit card, bank, etc.) and double check that the password still works, any balances look OK, and there are no strange transactions. Of course, that is always a good idea.

Marybeth

Lana Tomba wrote:

I have a bad feeling about a link someone sent me in world. It directed me to my account page and logged me out. I logged back in promptly and reset my password. The person who sent this to me said it was a marketplace link for new mesh items. I deleted my payment info but still feel as if  I will wake tomorrow with a sh** storm awaiting me. Any suggestions?

When you say 'logged me out,' are you meaning logged you out from being In World?

As far as Phishing pages go, see this thread for examples and explanations on the difference between them and the genuine LL web site:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Phishing-Scheme-Dont-Click-The-Link/td-p/1750713

There are some very good lessons here for all of us. Don't click on a link in an e-mail or other message (Second Life or elsewhere). Type the URL into the browser manually.

I received an email this morning that was supposed to be from my bank asking me to simply go to my account using the link in the email and check to see that my address was correct. I would have had to enter my password to check my address. I did not click on the link but had someone from the IT support group at my firm check it, and sure enough the link went to a fake web site that looked like my bank but wasn't. Someone was "phishing" for my password.

This happens frequently using email and other forms of messaging. Many people are fooled by it. So never click on a link in an email. Instead, type the link into your browser manually.

Marybeth

WordPress     Facebook

Thank you all for your help and responses. basically what the link did ( and i did type it manually into a new browser) was pull up a page that looked like an sl account page stating "you have been logged out" or "you have logged out"(just like when you log out). In a panic I used that page to log back in and reset my password . I did receive notice from LL in my email that my password had been changed but to be sure I bit the bullet and did without SL today and notified LL of it via technical issues.

They placed my account on hold until they could sort wether or not my account had been compormised and Im back in business but was a very stupid mistake on my part.

Thank you again. P.S. it was a short http link with some odd looking lower case and larger case letters that didn't seem to make any sense.Be on the look out. It's also in the persons profile who sent it (if their profile still exists..i don't know...don't care..feel like ive been granted a pardon)