How do you retain the novelty when logging into SL?

JPG0809

They say variety is the spice of life but, maybe not for some.

How do you personally continue to find enjoyment in SL?

Did you find that certain niche so that the luster of logging in hasn't fade away?

Can you incorperate that same way of doing things into RL?

Thank you and I look foward to your replies!

JPG0809 wrote:

They say variety is the spice of life but, maybe not for some.

Did you find that certain niche so that the luster of logging in hasn't fade away?

Thank you and I look foward to your replies!

This reads like you are doing research for a school paper.  ;)

For me, SL is like RL in that it keeps morphing and evolving.  For example, when I began SL over 6 years ago I came here with a group of friends STRICTLY for a rp.  That was it!  I had no intention of doing anything else in SL.  Fortunately I met someone who encouraged me to not just stay in the rp sim and explore and he and his partner showed me around, which is how I discovered dancing and jazz clubs in SL.  That led to me getting a job in a jazz club to pay my portion of the land my rp group had rented.  At the club I met another employee who became my partner for the next three years.  Since he was brand new in SL as well, we had a blast exploring all kinds of places.

Since I have been an instructor RL, I then looked into teaching at a SL school and did so until the school closed.  Then I began taking classes, which led to my doing some fledgling building which led to me opening a small shop.  I discovered horseback riding in SL and spent a lot of time years ago doing that; then I discovered the VKC dogs and enjoyed the community surrounding them...one activity would often lead to another.  I've spent time doing hunts, then didn't do hunts for awhile; would get into a dancing phase, then do other things.  My partner was really into the Isle of Wyrms sim and we spent a lot of time there...he also played Go and there used to be a Go sim.

Basically, there is sooooo much to do in SL that, even after 6 years, I feel I've barely scratched the surface.  I have gotten burnt out sometimes here and there and take a few months off, but then usually return with renewed enthusiasm.

Like Sassy, I am always making new things, which require me to constantly learn and discover.  Its a different kind of learning and discovering than what I did my first couple of months in SL -- I would not say it has quite the feeling of being 8 yrs old again, in a magical wonderland -- but it never gets old. And I am here many hours a day, pretty much every day, for 6 years. 

I have been on SL for three years. My sister and I used to log to go dancing and partying. That got old for me as it seemed sims didn't have as many people as when I started. So then I got into Boxing. That was loads of fun. My sister and I were a boxing team. She passed away and I was left to adventure on my own. I sorta got bored and it was hurtful so I didn't come on for a few months. I logged into pay for my membership and I remember telling someone that SL is only boring if you are boring. There is always something you can learn and do.... So I got into dancing lol. Some one asked me if they could have a picture of me to put on there walls in there club. Then a week later some one asked if I could model there clothing and it sorta went from there. Now I model but in my down time I take photos and I am teaching myself how to edit them. (thank goodness for youtube). I am also learning how to build things. Not sure how great its going since all I built was a snowman.. Can I get an A+ for effort still? lol

They also say that the key to longevity is everything in moderation.

Finding newness and originality requires a degree of imagination or luck. Both actions are complimentary to the other.  Luck is a mechanism of happenstance in which the recipient receives a small trinket or toy. Novelty is the fleeting amusement provided by provoking imagination.

An unfortunate truth is that genius never tires. I get tired sometimes and log out if I am not making productive use of the resources. We can't all be geniuses. Really smart people usually smell bad, like musty linen or parchment.

I joined SL with reason, it is only natural to enjoy it.

The niche was exactly where I expected it to be. I did not have to search for it.

Incorporation of novelty outside of SL? Maybe you live in Iowa or Siberia. SL is in RL, it is a novelty of RL. Your question confuses me.

There is a sunrise with every new day. That is novel enough for me.

I try to keep the enjoyment in SL by continuing to expand and find new things to do. I've been here since 2008 and through my avatars, I've done a number of different things...even if that's just to meet new people and share some of their interests. My latest has been to develop a (much larger than I thought) family...daughters, nieces and a sister plus a couple Grandkids...:matte-motes-sunglasses-3:. It gives me different people to talk to, to find out how they're doing and does give me another reason to come inworld.  I spend a good majority of my time sitting in my house, IMing with friends and watching the mermaids in my aquarium, though.

I still have a few rps going on with my slaves and other AVs that I play. They each have their own personality (maybe something I should talk to my shrink about :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:) and friends and things to do, some of which are independent to Tex.

I haven't found that certain niche...it changes. Like a roller coaster, the enjoyment of SL goes up and down. Sometimes, it's my own doing and sometimes SL itself gets me frustrated (the feed not working, crashes in FS) and it's no fun to log in anymore. I've taken breaks, like lots of people, but I always tend to come back at least for a little while.

I don't incorporate much from SL into RL. My two slaves are FB friends of mine and that's about it. I don't go out and randomly meet new people to join my family....don't think my wife would be too pleased about that....:matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

Hope that helps a bit.....

JPG0809 wrote:

Yeah now that you mention it, it kinda does... :matte-motes-bashful:

Well take my word or not, it was just a question at the top of my head and you're free to answer or click on another thread.

It's really not a bad question.  And I was asking in an indirect manner what this was about. 

You did arouse my curiosity when you quoted "Variety is the spice of life."  Who said it and what did they mean by it?  It appears to have originated in a work by William Cowper, 'The Task.'  It's a very long work and I only read a few bits and pieces now, but by it I think he did not mean it as many people take it.  Actually he was using it as a criticism of excesses in life.  At least that is my take on it from my brief reading.

"Variety’s the very spice of life,

That gives it all its flavour.  We have run

Through every change that Fancy, at the loom

Exhausted, has had genius to supply;

And, studious of mutation still, discard

A real elegance, a little used,

For monstrous novelty and strange disguise.

We sacrifice to dress, till household joys

And comforts cease.  Dress drains our cellar dry,

And keeps our larder lean; puts out our fires;

And introduces hunger, frost, and woe,

Where peace and hospitality might reign.

What man that lives, and that knows how to live,

Would fail to exhibit at the public shows

A form as splendid as the proudest there,

Though appetite raise outcries at the cost?

A man of the town dines late, but soon enough,

With reasonable forecast and despatch,

To ensure a side-box station at half-price.

You think, perhaps, so delicate his dress,

His daily fare as delicate.  Alas!

He picks clean teeth, and, busy as he seems

With an old tavern quill, is hungry yet!"

But getting to your questions,

My primary enjoyment comes from interacting with others.  In my circle of friends we enjoy the artistic side of SL.  Seeing what other people 'build' here.  We enjoy many other activities as well such as flying, sailing, going to concerts, dancing, bumping pixels. It's really that simple for me.

For me I'd say yes.  That does not mean I never get bored.  But I find the primary solution to boredom is action.  Even though SL is no longer a 'new' thing for me I still marvel at the things people do here.

I haven't really done things differently in SL than I do them in RL.  I'm outgoing in both worlds.  I strike up conversations with people I have never met before.  I spend time with old friends.  I get out and do things both old and new.  I can get as much pleasure from listening to corn grow as I can from going to a rock concert or listening to a symphony orchestra.

I have been a resident for nearly seven years now.  I do not look for novelty each and every day but I do log in nearly every day.  I have DJ'ed for six of those seven years and used to model, train models, and work the runway.  I love to photograph wonderful places in SL (and my avatar; she is a wonderful thing!) and I have a good computer that makes it fun.

I have a small number of good friends and I enjoy chatting and sharing with them, too.

SL is 'Your world. Your imagination.'  That second bit is important to remember.

JPG0809 wrote:

I've been in SL over six years and love it!  

There's no one niche for me, I crave variety, and spend my time learning new things.   There's a never ending array of skills to learn in SL.   For me, there's more to do, than I have the time to do it!

My RL is the same.   I only have one life....*laughs*

This is a good thread. Thanks for starting it. Many of the responses have been good reminders of how to revive the SL experience. I've been in SL for almost 8 years and know far too well how if one doesn't keep active, you can grow bored very quickly. I speak from personal experience, since I'm going through that right now. When I first joined, I was involved in just about everything. Some of my past occupations were:  detective, model, graphic designer and  tarot reader. I've even dabbled in building at one point, though I can't say that took me very far.

However, over the past few years, less of my old friends log in anymore and I never allowed myself to go with the flow. Instead of making new friends and continuing to find things to keep me busy, I started to log in less, to the point where when I log in these days I feel like a newb. Like one of the previous posters said, I find myself logging in mainly to pay my tier.
If your purpose for starting this thread is for insight on how to keep that interest in SL going, I'd say many of the responses already given are great places to start. I'm even thinking of starting a thread to gather suggestions on how to go about socializing in SL these in ways, other than clubbing... Anyhow, thanks again for this thread.

Glad you appreciate it! :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

That's and excellent idea! I noticed it's a bit difficult for some (especially if their newbies) to make/find friends.

Most of my issues stemmed from going to a place that interested me but finding it deserted or that the few avi's there spoke a different language so communication is hard.