Freezes then crashes on login (Macbook Air)

I have a 2012 MacBook Air with a 1.7ghz processor, 4gb ram, and a very fast internet connection. I understand that 1.7ghz is  not exactly ideal for Second Life, but it's above the minimal requirement. 

I've done tweaking of my settings to get optimal performance according to this tutorial: http://baysweetwater.wordpress.com/2010/06/19/yes-you-can-run-the-second-life-viewer-2-on-the-macbook-air-and-heres-how/

however I cannot get past logging in - it will freeze at loading world, then load again, but once things start to rez I get a 'Darn You've been logged out of Second Life'

Any suggestions? (Besides get a more powerful machine - im not made of money lol) 

Nice name. :P

Macbook Air, if I recall, doesn't have an ethernet socket. So you're using Wi-fi?

Poor Wi-fi (anything less than 300Mbps) will cause this issue (regardless of how fast your out-of-the-building connection says it is). It can also be caused by latency, noise, interferance and a billion other wireless annoyances, which is why I always suggest using a wired connection.

You might (emphasis: MIGHT) get better performance with a professional level router (I have one with 8 antennas with 300Mbps, operating on non-interfering channels that gets power cycled regularly, and helped by a hardware caching/squid system - it can kind of keep its head above water in SL but it's still not as good as a wire).

Also note that the Macbook Air does not have enough room to dissipate heat caused by intense graphical rendering. This will cause you issues in future.

Any suggestions? (Besides get a more powerful machine - im not made of money lol) 

But that, in my eyes, is the only solution. Alone the fact that you sunk a crazy amount of money into a useless Macbook Air tells me you have more than enough money for powerful machines. But you decided you wanted something fashionable instead, something to look good in the airport lounge, in the boardroom or in the hotel lobby; something that screams out "I have more money than brains!" Who needs lots of fast RAM, who needs a reasonable cpu, who needs dedicated graphics, who needs all that stuff anyway if you can look so sexy?

It was your decision to get a chic lady's purse rather than a good sturdy computer. Now deal with it.

Not sure a scolding is helpful

"Scolding"? I needed to look up that term in the dictionary and I find it doesn't fit what I did there. It's the typical forward-thinking German way to respond to problems; direct, without any smooth talk and hopefully helpful in future decisions on hardware. Because for now there is no real help, nothing we can do other than to donate a new computer for the poor guy. And I myself ain't made of money neither, sorry.

It's a work machine -

No, it's not. Apple products don't fit into most definitions that qualify a work machine. Least of all, the MacBook Air. The usability is very very restricted to just a handful tasks ... that can be done evenly well, and better, by most other products. Oh, and if it's really a work machine then SL has no place on it anyway.

instead of scolding me on something that is really none of your business why don't you either try to assist me or don't reply?

It became my business the very moment you decided to start a forum thread. Because, guess what, from time to time I'm a member of the forum as well. And I found my response rather helpful since it will hopefully help you making a wiser hardware decision the next time.