Is anyone else having problems receiving IM's to Email?

Jason Levane

Question

A couple of things might be happening.  First, depending on the volume of messages you expect, you may be missing some because your IMs are capped. You can only receive up to 25 forwarded messages while you're off-world.  Any after that are lost.  The other possibility is that the e-mail servers (or your own e-mail system) are screwing up.  They are not 100% reliable.  I've missed occasional messages from automated systems that are supposed to report regularly to me, and I know my IMs weren't capped at the time. 

ETA:  Incidentally, if the message you're expecting are from your own automated systems (visitor counters, vendors...), the way mine are, it may be smart to script a backup.  Have your system send the same message to an in-world "server" when it sends it to you by IM/e-mail.  That way you'll have a "safe" copy to review if e-mail messes up.  I scripted my backup system to start deleting the oldest messages when it gets too full, which can take months in my case.

3 answers to this question

A couple of things might be happening.  First, depending on the volume of messages you expect, you may be missing some because your IMs are capped. You can only receive up to 25 forwarded messages while you're off-world.  Any after that are lost.  The other possibility is that the e-mail servers (or your own e-mail system) are screwing up.  They are not 100% reliable.  I've missed occasional messages from automated systems that are supposed to report regularly to me, and I know my IMs weren't capped at the time. 

ETA:  Incidentally, if the message you're expecting are from your own automated systems (visitor counters, vendors...), the way mine are, it may be smart to script a backup.  Have your system send the same message to an in-world "server" when it sends it to you by IM/e-mail.  That way you'll have a "safe" copy to review if e-mail messes up.  I scripted my backup system to start deleting the oldest messages when it gets too full, which can take months in my case.

OK, try this....

Apparently a few weeks ago, gmail put Linden Lab on its SPAM list, so a lot of mail coming from SL to residents who have gmail accounts has been trapped in spam filters.  You can fix the problem yourself, though.  Here's how....

• Pull up your gmail and go to the little settings *wheel* in the upper right corner.
  • Select SETTINGS from the dropdown list.
  • On the page that opens, click on the FILTERS tab
  • Click on CREATE NEW FILTER. It will bring up a new window.
  • In the FROM box type “@im.agni.lindenlab.com
    (without the quotation marks of course!)
  • Click CREATE FILTER WITH THIS SEARCH
  • Make sure to check the box marked NEVER SEND IT TO SPAM
  • Check the small box at the bottom that says: “Also apply filter to matching conversations.”
  • Finally, click the blue box that says CREATE FILTER

Your filter is now set!

That’s the important one – you can also add a filter for no-reply@lindenlab.com too.