Skin tone

Tenly

I've purchased a fantastic full perm shoe with foot. comes with one REAL skin tone which is perfect. And what I want to do is create at least 4 other tones using the default skin to help people match to their own. However, every trick I try is not working out as well as Id hoped with regard to matching. something seems off like too much salt or not enough pepper in the soup. Ive tried tweaking the underlying tones in photoshop, adding warm or cool filters, blending in additional color using mutilply, screen or overlay but I am still unsatisfied with the results. Ive done it before with skins that are not "real" as those are a bit more forgiving. but the real skin--tweaking color from pale to very dark is not making me happy.

The problem arises due to the WIDE variety of skin tones skin creators have out there. So I can match to mine but Im wondering if there is some kinda general guide out there that I can use to create a few general skintones that might work with a larger body of creators skins.

Anyone have a solid advise on tweaking skin tones so they seem a bit more realistic? I think Ive had the most problem with the darker tones. 

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly, my first bit of advice here is to study skin tones. On Deviantart, you can actually find several, several guides on the types of highlights and such with different tones, hues, and saturation. The most important thing here will be to blend a wide variety of colors and use multiple layers. Also, make sure you have a reference, and I mean exact reference, of the kind of skin you want to create. Drag colors from those skin tones, use overaly, multiple, and also, after flattening layers, try doing some soft light layers.

Colors aren't always easy to create, but try starting with a neutral, lighter tone and build the darks, or, start with dark, and build up to light. The best thing you can do is to practice, and maybe even check out Youtube for videos on changing skin color in Photoshop. But, it's best to have real life references before you do anything else.

• Like 1

Thank you for the advice Hoegoe. Ill search youtube and deviant art again but if you know of any videos off the top of your head related to photoshop and creating skin let me know.

I should append my question to also include something I am having a problem with but I might make this a new topic. Ive noted with my skin tones that they look great in photoshop and in some of the other viewers sich as firestorm and on other grids but then when I bring them into SL they sometimes look orange or otherwise off color. Im not sure why the SL viewer or grid should be displaying colors so vastly different than my computer and I wonder if there is a setting anyone recommends for your computer screen that makes things play nice across the board a little better. I have a newer mac, a 2011 imac. I generally use a setting more like windows based but I wonder if thats part of the problem?