llDialog() 24 bytes limit

Xpl0ad3r Neox

Hello there,

I'm sorry, though I'm almost sure this has been answered a few times for some reason, I can't seem to find anything that could really help me.

The max length of a button label is 24 bytes, is there any workaround for this? Looking at the wiki I noticed this part:

[quote]llBase64ToString(llGetSubString(llStringToBase64(theString), 0, 31))[/quote]

I'm not sure if has anything to do with it anyway...

Any help?

Thank you in advance!

@Rolig Loon

Thank you. I actually was looking forward for that idea, I was just looking for a way around, but that will save me some time.

The thing is, I'm developing a Delivery Script which automatically finds out the contents inside the prim and lists them up on the buttons of the menu... So the buttons are automatically set to the content name, however, sometimes there are contents, like a notecard or texture that have a longer name, in these cases, it reproduces the following script error: "button labels must be 24 or fewer characters long".

Well, I'll use this method if there isn't anything else I could try.

You have a list of your long entries.

Make a 2nd list, by cutting all entries down to 12 characters or some more. Shorter entries you fill up to a length of 12 with spaces. Add the listindex to each entry, it will be out of sight.

When you get the menu answer you cut the part after the 12th character to the end and you will get back the listindex.

With the listindex you can easily get the long entry out of your 1st list.

Just cutting the long entries can result in 2 or more equal shortened entries.

Another question is: does it make sense to show only the 1st 12 characters or your long entries? If not - use a numbered list as Rolig suggested.

The only other way to do it is something like this, though I would, in general, prefer Rolig's method since it makes it easier to distinguish between items.

integer handle;list contents;list buttonNames;default{	state_entry()	{		integer i;		integer max = llGetInventoryNumber(INVENTORY_ALL);		do {			string str = llGetInventoryName(INVENTORY_ALL,i);			if (llGetInventoryType(str)!=llGetScriptName()){//don't include this script				contents += [str]; // add full name to contents list				buttonNames+=[llGetSubString(str,0,23)];//add truncated name to buttonNames list			}		}		while (++i<max);	}	touch_start(integer total_number)	{		key k = llDetectedKey(0);		llListenRemove(handle);		handle = llListen(99,"",k,"");		llDialog(k,"Please choose something",buttonNames,99);//use the list of truncated names	}	listen(integer channel, string name, key id, string message)	{		llListenRemove(handle);		integer n = llListFindList(buttonNames,[message]); // find the index number in the buttonNames list		if (~n){//if it's not -1			string obj = llList2String(contents,n); // find the untruncated name in the contents list			llRegionSayTo(id,0,"You chose "+obj);		}	}}