What are the specifications for uploading an image? Not mesh or any texture. Just a picture

newmember76 Porthos

Question

A "picture" is a texture.  To upload to your inventory, it must be in PNG, TGA, JPG, or BMP format.  It should be a rectangle with side dimensions that are multiples of two (32, 64, 128, 256, 512, or 1024 pixels).  If you try to upload a non-standard dimension, the servers will resize it to the closest powers of two, so it may be distorted and will almost certainly have lower resolution than if you had done it right yourself.  You won't get an error message, though.  So, what's the error message? 

If you want to provide extra information or need to clarify your question, click on the Options link in the upper right corner of your question and select EDIT. Please do not start a new thread. Doing that makes it hard for us to see what other people have already suggested, and it pushes other residents' questions off the page.

• Like 2

2 answers to this question

A "picture" is a texture.  To upload to your inventory, it must be in PNG, TGA, JPG, or BMP format.  It should be a rectangle with side dimensions that are multiples of two (32, 64, 128, 256, 512, or 1024 pixels).  If you try to upload a non-standard dimension, the servers will resize it to the closest powers of two, so it may be distorted and will almost certainly have lower resolution than if you had done it right yourself.  You won't get an error message, though.  So, what's the error message? 

If you want to provide extra information or need to clarify your question, click on the Options link in the upper right corner of your question and select EDIT. Please do not start a new thread. Doing that makes it hard for us to see what other people have already suggested, and it pushes other residents' questions off the page.

• Like 2

Rolig is spot on.  I will add that it's OK to stretch or shrink the image to fit those powers of two...you can re-stretch it to the correct aspect ratio once you have it uploaded.

For example...

Say I have an image that's the aspect ratio of a 35mm photograph, about 4:3.  And, say it's a big picture, more than 10 mB.
  In Photoshop, I use "Image Size" to change the image to dimensions of 512x512 pixels.  Then I'll save this much smaller, slightly squisheed looking thing as "photo1.jpg."

Next, I'll log in world and use Me/Upload.  I'll browse to the image, select it, and pay $L10 to upload it.

Then, I can simply open it on my screen and re-size it to the correct 4:3 aspect ratio.  Or, I can make a prim with thos proportions and slap the uploaded texture on its face.  It will look better in all lights if I also make it Full Bright.