Basics of Roleplay

QueenNeon

1. What every roleplayer in SL in needs to know.
  2. How to get into roleplay
  3. What are some the best roleplaying sims for beginners?
  4. Anything that's relative to roleplay would be helpful. :smileyhappy:

Can anyone fill me in on roleplay here in SL? I just recently became interested in rp through via reading online rp scripts in rp communities. Anything about roleplay is welcomed. (including info about rp sims, how to rp, things needed, etc)

QueenNeon wrote:

Any kind of roleplay. I'm not picky about it.

Honestly, that's a very silly statement. The type of roleplay will affect how you act in SL. But to try to answer your questions in general statements: (which are all my opinion, by the way)

1. What every roleplayer in SL in needs to know.

Every roleplayer needs to know how to act appropriately in the senerio. If you're playing a 1940's lady, for example, don't talk like it's 2013. You should find out what the parameters are and how you are expected to act within those parameters.

2. How to get into roleplay

Easiest way is to go into the search and find something you like...again, it DOES matter what type of RP you want to do. If you don't like vampires (for example) then don't do Bloodlines..If you don't like bondage, don't go to Gor..etc, etc. Once you find a group that you like, join it. Then send a group notice out to see what's involved..or IM the group owner.

3. What are some the best roleplaying sims for beginners?

This, I do not have an answer to. When I began, I just popped into various sims that I found interesting and started looking for someone to RP with...not the best method. Try a bunch of different places and see what strikes your fancy.

4. Anything that's relative to roleplay would be helpful.

How about this?? http://community.secondlife.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=labels%2Clocation&location=forum-board%3ARolePlay&q=role+play

I searched Roleplay in the forums and came up with a TON of different threads concerning it. Read them...see what juice tidbits you can pick up

Now, now, Tex... Some people really do have little preference for how they get involved in RP. Tastes and interests take time to develop; maybe our QueenNeon wants to sample a broad variety of subjects before settling down.

What should you know?

• Etiquette - Etiquette is everything, and luckily it can be determined by common sense. It starts by reading sim rules THOROUGHLY and obeying them to the letter.
  • IC and OOC - Understand the difference between IC (in character) and OOC (out of character) interaction, and keep them separated. Nobody wants to play with the jerk who can't keep them from blending. When you role play the whole spectrum of emotion can be accessed, but it's important to remember that when the scene ends, so should the emotions experienced. It's fantasy, and nothing that happens IC should oblige players to hold expectations of each other OOCly.
  • Consent - Ensure that your play partners consent to being played with before you begin. You can assume that consent is already given if people are located in a public and accessible area, but even still it's polite to send an offline message to ask if it's welcomed for other people to join in. More importantly, when you commit an action toward another character that has the possibility of affecting them dramatically such as a physical act of violence, it's important to clear the action with them OOCly before committing the action within the scene--at least until you get acquainted with your play partner and come to understand where there limits are.
  • Limits - Limits are what you're unwilling to scene, and it's important to know your own as well as your play partner's. Potty scenes, death scenes, extreme violence or gore of any kind, and animal play are common limits to have.
  • Your character - Have a good idea of the character you desire to play, and if you don't, try playing around as yourself until you get the hang of putting a personality to text. Write up a notecard of your character's history, likes, dislikes, strengths, weaknesses, and personality for yourself to keep as reference.

How to get into role play?

• Sims - Find yourself some sims to play in game. It's easy to become involved with public RP; find people in any area within the RP sim and get to finding a way to introduce your character.
  • Forums - You can find RP players through forums, like these. Just advertise what you're looking for.
  • MU**s - Fun text based clients that can be rewarding to RP with. Google them up.

What are the best role playing sims for beginners?

• Dead End
  • Dark Alley
  • Crack Den
  • Wendigo Lake

These places are super easy to get into, and with the exception of Wendigo Lake, heavily populated during prime hours. It's easier to RP the modern era; diving into fantasy or sci-fi can be a bit daunting if it's not your cup of tea to begin with.

Tex.... it may be a so called "silly statement" however, I'm just asking about something I know little about... that's all.. so

I really don't see why this would be considered "silly" if someone wants to learn a variety of things "such as different kinds 

of roleplay and what have you..

QueenNeon wrote:

Tex.... it may be a so called "silly statement" however, I'm just asking about something I know little about... that's all.. so

I really don't see why this would be considered "silly" if someone wants to learn a variety of things "such as different kinds 

of roleplay and what have you..

My apologies...please allow me to be more specific...

When I say that was a "silly statement", what I meant was that you would need to know what type of RP you wish to play. In other words, what are your interests? There are a ton of different types out there (as I had mentioned in the earlier post); BDSM, Sci-Fi, Family, Vampire/Lycan, Master/Slave, Pony Play, Puppy Play...and so on and so on. I was noting that saying "Any kind of roleplay. I'm not picky about it." could lead to anything.

Decide what interests you, then find the group that meets those interests and go from there.

Please forgive me if that statement sounded offensive, that was not my goal.

You've received some good advice. One challenge is that the word "roleplay" means different things to different people; in a way, it's almost the equivalent as saying "sports" and of course we know there are lots of different sports and lots of different levels of competition. 

If you like to learn by reading, some of the best explanations of RP basics that I've seen to start with are at http://kaliopekaras.blog.com/ and http://thecrackden.com/guides/roleplay/  I've been trying to steal from the best in terms of describing one roleplay style as we work on starting a Wild West sim http://gehennacrossing.com/our-roleplay-style/

The next thing you can do that's pretty straightforward is read the rules of sims http://secondlife.com/destinations/roleplay  in their entry areas - the style now is not to use the word "rules" but instead say "guidelines" - and see what resonates with you in terms of making sense and sounding fun.

And forgive me if someone already suggested this, but you mention you became interested in RP after reading some chat logs. You could drop notecards on some of the avatars you saw in those logs, and ask how they got involved and learned about RP. Not only would you make their day by complimenting them (I assume) but you'd get good advice from people who apparently have a style and approach that interests you.

I dont know Tex, but from what I've read on other posts. He seems pretty good hearted and sincere. I don't think he was trying to be offensive.  

Anyways, good luck. Always welcome to check out Giano Estates. Its a PG family urban community. See my post today for a small glimpse of what its like. 

Laterz!