How can I get the best wi-fi connection without issues?

JPG0809

Question

I'm sure someone who knows more of the mysteries of WiFi will add to this, but here are a couple of basic suggestions.

• Don't use a router that is known to have problems with SL.  I used a Trendnet router for years with good results, and am now using an ASUS router.
  • Make sure you have a good strong signal at your computer's location.  If not, get better antennas for your router or possibly try a signal booster.  Be aware that signal boosters can cause more problems than they solve, though.  Good router placement and good antennas are your best bet. WiFi Analyzer is a free app for Android smartphones that gives you quite a lot of information about WiFi signals at the phone's position.
  • Use one of the new Wireless N routers if you can.  You may need to upgrade your computer's WiFi card or USB dongle to take advantage of the increased performance though.
  • Encrypt your network!  An open network is an invitation to neighbors and passersby to piggyback on your connection, and slow it down.
  • Like 1

1 answer to this question

I'm sure someone who knows more of the mysteries of WiFi will add to this, but here are a couple of basic suggestions.

• Don't use a router that is known to have problems with SL.  I used a Trendnet router for years with good results, and am now using an ASUS router.
  • Make sure you have a good strong signal at your computer's location.  If not, get better antennas for your router or possibly try a signal booster.  Be aware that signal boosters can cause more problems than they solve, though.  Good router placement and good antennas are your best bet. WiFi Analyzer is a free app for Android smartphones that gives you quite a lot of information about WiFi signals at the phone's position.
  • Use one of the new Wireless N routers if you can.  You may need to upgrade your computer's WiFi card or USB dongle to take advantage of the increased performance though.
  • Encrypt your network!  An open network is an invitation to neighbors and passersby to piggyback on your connection, and slow it down.
  • Like 1