GMAIL Filters Linden Lab Email as Spam

Nalates Urriah

If you find you are not getting email from Linden Lab and Second Life, it may be Google’s apparently new spam filtering. Rumor is that Google has recently added @im.agni.lindenlab.com to their spam filters. I became aware of the problem in December 2013 and wrote: Second Life’s GMAIL Problems. The fix for the problem the article leads to came by a circuitous route.

Apparently Melody Regent of Regent Estates figured out what was happening. Prim Perfect wrote up a solution. I found out about that from Honor’s blog. The fix to tell GMAIL to allow Linden mail in is:

• Open GMAIL.
  • Click Settings, the Gear Icon in the upper right corner.
  • In the drop down list, select SETTINGS.
  • On the page that opens look in the top horitaontal menu and click on the FILTERS tab.
  • Click on CREATE NEW FILTER.
  • In the FROM box type: @im.agni.lindenlab.com.
  • Click CREATE FILTER WITH THIS SEARCH.
  • Check the box: NEVER SEND IT TO SPAM.
  • Check the box near the bottom: Also apply filter to matching conversations.
  • Click the boxy button: CREATE FILTER.

I suggest you repeat the steps and also add: @lindenlab.com and @mail.secondlife.com.

I will say that I did pass this along to Linden Labs and let them know, and as far as I have been able to see, there has been nothing posted to their website about it.  One would think this would be a high priority for them.

I even spoke to a Linden about the issue when we were looking to see what the issue was and not a word was said about it.  I was told to check that my IMs offline were on and my email was correct.  That was as far as they seemed to want to help.

I am pleased to see this is spreading like wildfire and helping so many people out!

Melody Regent wrote:

I will say that I did pass this along to Linden Labs and let them know, and as far as I have been able to see, there has been nothing posted to their website about it.  One would think this would be a high priority for them.

I even spoke to a Linden about the issue when we were looking to see what the issue was and not a word was said about it.  I was told to check that my IMs offline were on and my email was correct.  That was as far as they seemed to want to help.

I am pleased to see this is spreading like wildfire and helping so many people out!

Well, it's not really a Second Life problem but a G Mail (and a few other mail services I am now aware of) problem.

Have you contacted G Mail to see what their problem is?

Most likely people who use gmail for SL are tagging the emails as spam and that prompted it to get added to the gmail filters by google.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1366858?hl=en

"What you need to know:
After you report spam for several messages from the same sender, our system will learn from your behavior and might continue placing that sender's messages to Spam even if you don't specifically report them."

Not much the lab can do about it since LL doesn't have any control over what google does with their gmail system.

I know it is not LL's problem.  However, it is not my problem that my clients are not getting their land notifications either.  I did see this was an issue larger than mine and I felt it needed to be looked into and when I found a solution, I provided it to the masses, even if it was not my problem.  For me at least, this is basic customer service.  It helps my customers and it seems to be helping a ton of other people on SL as well.

What would it hurt that LL posted a comment on their website letting people know this is an issue and to be aware of it.  It would hurt nothing and would be vastly helpful to a WHOLE lot of people.  It would take someone a few short moments to post it and save people a TON of aggrivation.  You know, "service".

As for Google..... First, they do not care about a hundred thousand people.  The other blogs had it correct when they stated the issue.  LL has a low retention rate.  So hundreds of thousands sign up and are not in the email system.  They get emails from LL, and trust me, sometimes those can be annoying if you do not want to come back.  Instead of removing the notifications via the website and unsubcribing, they click "report Spam".  AFter hundreds of thousands of reports, gmail sets up a spam filter.  I am fairly certain there are way more people that think SL is spam, than there are that feel it is needed.

This is a simple fix, if only the information was out here.  I did make a simple to use HOW TO notecard to pass around in world to anyone that wants one or wants to pass it on to groups, just feel free to ask me for one in world.... I DO GET MY OFFLINES.  :)

Linden Lab has shown, time and time again, that they care very little about communicating with their user base... this issue is no different.  I, and I'm sure many more, thank you for relaying this information.  As is most commonly the case, we must all rely on SL "residents" to put in the time and effort to provide the customer service which LL should be paying people to provide.

...Dres *shakes his head once again*

Apparently the problem is not restricted to gmail. I use a regular Comcast email account and don't have any spam filters enabled. LL emails stopped about 12-24-13 and haven't come back so far.

However emails from SL objects come thru just fine, only the Marketplace emails are affected.

Melody Regent wrote:

I know it is not LL's problem.  However, it is not my problem that my clients are not getting their land notifications either.  I did see this was an issue larger than mine and I felt it needed to be looked into and when I found a solution, I provided it to the masses, even if it was not my problem.  For me at least, this is basic customer service.  It helps my customers and it seems to be helping a ton of other people on SL as well.

What would it hurt that LL posted a comment on their website letting people know this is an issue and to be aware of it.  It would hurt nothing and would be vastly helpful to a WHOLE lot of people.  It would take someone a few short moments to post it and save people a TON of aggrivation.  You know, "service".

As for Google..... First, they do not care about a hundred thousand people.  The other blogs had it correct when they stated the issue.  LL has a low retention rate.  So hundreds of thousands sign up and are not in the email system.  They get emails from LL, and trust me, sometimes those can be annoying if you do not want to come back.  Instead of removing the notifications via the website and unsubcribing, they click "report Spam".  AFter hundreds of thousands of reports, gmail sets up a spam filter.  I am fairly certain there are way more people that think SL is spam, than there are that feel it is needed.

This is a simple fix, if only the information was out here.  I did make a simple to use HOW TO notecard to pass around in world to anyone that wants one or wants to pass it on to groups, just feel free to ask me for one in world.... I DO GET MY OFFLINES. 
:)

Actually I do think LL should say something.  But even then, at least based on my personal experience, the number of people who ever take the time to look at LL Blog Posts, etc, is very small.  But I am right in line with those who say LL does an absolutely horrible job of communicating.

I will still maintain it is primarily a user problem.  If I don't take the time occasionally to see what is getting sent to Spam by the E Mail providers then I consider that my fault.