Display Name...

lovemebitch001

Question

No. You have to wait a week, like you already said correctly (if there would be a way around this, why would people then wait 7 days?). Thats why you should always think twice before creating an account/username with a degrading/vulgar meaning. But then again... I think your current environment cares that much, if your username gets displayed in bigger letters for around a week. 

3 answers to this question

No. You have to wait a week, like you already said correctly (if there would be a way around this, why would people then wait 7 days?). Thats why you should always think twice before creating an account/username with a degrading/vulgar meaning. But then again... I think your current environment cares that much, if your username gets displayed in bigger letters for around a week. 

BEFOREHAND, yes.  In other words, you should have chosen a user name that you don't hate in the first place.  If it really bothers you (and it would sure bother ME, if I had that user name), then sign up for Second Life again, just like you did the first time -- but this time, choose a better user name.  (The technical term for this alternate account is, logically enough, an "alt".)

Transfer any $L and any transferable items from the original account to your new alt.  Then you can either delete the old account, or keep it as a spare.  There are many uses for alts.

But as far as changing your Display Name after you've already selected one, even the wrong one...nope.  You've got it for the next 7 days.

Be aware that anyone can see either one or both of your names, your user name and your Display Name.  So pick ones that you like and that are not offensive.  Here are Lindal's Tips For Choosing a Good Name!

• Don't use profanity, or terms with strong sexual connotations.  "HornyBlackBish" is right out.
  • Don't use offensive terms.  "NaziBoyJewKiller" is right out.
  • Don't, please don't, use special characters in your Display Name.  It's hard to read, hard to pronounce, and impossible to type.
  • Don't use "Linden Lab" or anything close to it.  Even if you evade the sign-up censor, you'll be quickly reported and your avatar will be banned.
  • Don't use your Real Life name.  Anonymity is a powerful tool in Second Life.  Don't give it up
  • Choose a user name that is a NAME, not a string of letters and numbers.  "123pa$$word456" is right out.  People are going to see your user name as long as you are in Second Life, and often call you by that name.  Make it one they can type without feeling disgust, one they can pronounce, and one they can remember.
  • User names are limited to one word.  However, you can imply a first and last name by the use of capital letters, like JonathanArgos.
  • Make your name one that is appropriate for a wide range of avatars.  "BobTheBloodsucker" might work for a male vampire, but what if Bob later wants to change into a female, or a cute little stuffed animal?  A unisex name like "SarsaparillaJones" or "LeydenJarr" works for a wider variety of appearance choices.
  • I like clever names.  Names like "ShoutenHaller" , "3Ring Binder" or "Imnotgoing Sideways" catch my eye and make we want to talk to the clever and creative person behind the name
  • Take your time.  I know you want to get on with it and get into Second Life, but your user name is the one thing that will be with you always, and can never be changed.  Make it one that you like, and one that says something nice about you to other people.
  • Like 1