how do u get a job

jake01234

8 answers to this question

It isn't much easier to get a job that pays well in SL than it is to get one in RL. You need to have a skill of some kind, like scripting, or building, or being a DJ.  If you don't have some background in a related area in RL, it takes a while to learn a skill in SL well enough to make it pay. After all, there are lot of other people who already have a head start on you. Don't get discouraged, though.  Just take time to learn.  Meanwhile, there are so many good quality free things in SL that you really don't need much L$ to enjoy yourself.

There are is a wanted ads thing and employment help in the commerce forums right here at secondlife.com. Not only that, but I remember there are in world job agencies (not much luck here for me) and there was a DJ school that helped you get started somehow.

Most jobs and money exchanging endevours (like freelance or simply building stuff or gaining a partner) are not advertised...I think. I mean, since they aren't advertised it is hard to even estimate stats on! But this is the same in real life. Most people do not find work through classified ads and even get work via sending resumes to companies with zero advertising for workers! Why? They run HR departments that collect the stuff, they use headhunters, hire through stuff like job placement programs, and simply word of mouth! Smaller companies hire people many times through word of mouth, people they know are good through what is known as a Web Of Trust. So...I guess the "how" part might be answered by just simply getting to know lots of people! They will have advice, some bad, some good and much of it sounding simlar to previous advice lol.

If you go freelancing, I would advice scripting as it is harder to do and easier to get into as far as expenses. You have ZERO uploads, there is extensive help, not so much art and more logic and many people can understand it. It is not as hard as programming, there is far less to remember and do to make stuff happen and get feedback from stuff. Not to mention that stuff BUT there is also a library of code contributions at the second life wiki that shows you how to do many manythings. You can dream up products to show case you skills, use them with building skills to make a product or simply make scripts others desire for thier products to 'work' and react. Of course, there are other things you might enjy more. Artistic skills lend themselves to doing texture work and building. Maybe even sculpting is good for artistic skilled people. BUT, I can't draw well but I can make objects alright enough that they are recognizable lol. That is all it takes sometimes! Animating avatars is good for those who like to see things move lol. I like this myself and it is a second choice over making more complex items that move! You can sell the animations or add them to products to showcase you skills and then hunt for custom work at the Wanted forums....I guess. A sign in a small store might also work, as well as the afore mentioned socializing and makiing freinds to build a Web Of Trust you can benifit from mutually for all aspects of your second life. I use the forums to help me learn about stuff, but randomly talking to strangers lead me tolearn many things without trying to smooze and gain some web of trust. I sort of have non lol. Wierd, but you sort of get to know some small things that are tell tale sings or who you will trust and when you make many of the items you need....well, who needs to know who the best is when you can custom make it for yourself!

• Like 2

Your job is waiting right in front of you. Right click on the ground>Build or in your Inventory window: Create New (gesture, skin, shape...). If you are total beginer, google tutorials, web is full of fantastic help, starting with Torly Linden's video tutorials, Second Life Wiki pages or Help tab right here. If you need help in world, feel free to contact me. Enjoy! :)

• Like 1