I can't log in. Everytime i try, regardless of the destination, my viewer crashes and force closes.

TobiasKilroy

Question

Thanks for the chocolate!  

Unfortunately, your computer is extremely low powered and my guess is that it's not up to running SL.  You have far too little memory.  In fact, you should not even be able to run Windows at all with only 1024MB of RAM.  Your CPU is slow (although it is fast enough for SL).  Your graphics card is extremely low powered, especially for SL, and the brand (ATI) is not the best for SL either (Nvidia GeForce cards generally work better.)  Your operating system is so old it's not even supported by Microsoft any more.

It's really time for a new computer.

In the meantime, though, you might be able to run SL by using the SLGo subscription service offered by OnLive.  This offloads a lot of the required processing onto OnLive's remote servers.

• Like 1

2 answers to this question

Thanks for the chocolate!  

Unfortunately, your computer is extremely low powered and my guess is that it's not up to running SL.  You have far too little memory.  In fact, you should not even be able to run Windows at all with only 1024MB of RAM.  Your CPU is slow (although it is fast enough for SL).  Your graphics card is extremely low powered, especially for SL, and the brand (ATI) is not the best for SL either (Nvidia GeForce cards generally work better.)  Your operating system is so old it's not even supported by Microsoft any more.

It's really time for a new computer.

In the meantime, though, you might be able to run SL by using the SLGo subscription service offered by OnLive.  This offloads a lot of the required processing onto OnLive's remote servers.

• Like 1

Tobias,

Lindal's advise is spot on.

Your old laptop's embedded graphics solution was a problem for Second Life back in 2007, 8 years ago.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Features/1-14-0-Known-Issues-Drivers-VBO-ATI-X300-X600-notebooks-and/ba-p/568656/page/4

If you are new to SL this laptop is NOT the way to go. You will not have a quality experience on this machine.

Windows XP is no longer supported by Linden Lab nor is it supported by Microsoft either.

While SLGO may allow you to access SL many features are not supported yet so your learning curve may be affected. Further, this laptop doesn't meet SLGO's minimum PC requirements.

Scrape some $$ together to buy a newer [gently used] laptop and then you'll be able to at least have an entry-level experience with Second Life.