Add keyboard shortcuts to specific avatar AO gestures

Scamp Skytower

No I'm not talking about the standard gestures that are already there some with keyboard shortcuts. I recently got a new avatar and prefer some of those 'AO' gestures. They're in my inventory and I can play them (in world or locally) but I like them and want to be chatting (typing- i don't use sound) away with someone and be able to press, eg f4 to laugh, stand differently, look bored, etc. I can do this with the standard set of gestures but cant find an easy way to play these new gestures.

any ideas?

XX. Sx

There are two different things that I think you are confusing. There are gestures and there are animations. Gestures can contain animations and other things such as sound, text (chat) and pauses and they can be triggered with a short cut key. Animations can be opened and played or they can be put in an AO to play, for example when you start walking or sitting or standing or they can be put in furniture or dance balls or they can be played from a gesture.

If you really have gestures already all you need to do is right click on it in your inventory and select open. Then you can assign a shortcut key by selecting the drop down options. You also have to select the active tick (check) box at the bottom.

If what you have in animations you can create a new gesture and put the animation in it, assign a shortcut key, set it active and away you go.

In your inventory go to your Gestures folder right click and select New Gesture.

Rename it.

right click on it and select Open then in the Library section of the Gesture edit box select Animation and then click the Add button.

In the steps section it will now say Start Animation: None. Below that where it says Animatiion to play there is a button that says  --None--. Click on that button and select the animation.

You may also want to add a wait and a stop so that it doesn't go on for ever.

Then select your short cut keys and Active box and save.

Sounds complicated but it won't take you long to get the hang of it.

See here for more info: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Using-gestures-and-animations/ta-p/700069

I'm still not sure I'm getting it. I would have thought that since my avatar came with a different standing pose and walking gait, that they would be incorporated into the avatar. instead i have to go to inventory, right click and choose play in world.

I thought if I cant get them running all the time then maybe theres a way to shortcut them (eg f1) to make things easier and for my avatar to appear a bit more lifelike and natural.

You need to put all the animations (stands, sits, walk, run, fly, hover, etc) what you want to play automatically into an AO (Animation Overrider). When you have done that, then you will wear the AO and it will play the animations according to what you are doing (standing, walking, running, etc.).

• 2 weeks later...