regarding DNS couldnot resolve host name....is this being addressed?

Hershey4Z

Question

Hi Hershey,

This is a resident-to-resident forum, and Lindens never visit. For that reason, we're unable to resolve your problems. We can only relay our knowledge of the ways SL works... or doesn't.

Nalate's Urriahs "Troubleshoot Your SL Connection" page and the Firestorm team's DNS_Fail page have been my go-to resource for advice over the years, though I've never had connections issues myself. If you've already tried the things recommended on those pages, I've nothing more to offer. There's been a spike in DNS questions lately, so there may be a problem out on the net that's affecting multiple residents. If it's an ISP issue, the solution won't lie here.

Good luck, if you do discover the cause and/or a solution, please let us know. And do check back here, someone else may pipe in with useful advice.

4 answers to this question

Hi Hershey,

This is a resident-to-resident forum, and Lindens never visit. For that reason, we're unable to resolve your problems. We can only relay our knowledge of the ways SL works... or doesn't.

Nalate's Urriahs "Troubleshoot Your SL Connection" page and the Firestorm team's DNS_Fail page have been my go-to resource for advice over the years, though I've never had connections issues myself. If you've already tried the things recommended on those pages, I've nothing more to offer. There's been a spike in DNS questions lately, so there may be a problem out on the net that's affecting multiple residents. If it's an ISP issue, the solution won't lie here.

Good luck, if you do discover the cause and/or a solution, please let us know. And do check back here, someone else may pipe in with useful advice.

Other than the initial email from the Support Department, you will get updates as the problem is identified, escalated and/or requeued into other departments attention.

Linden Lab has been here before. The DNS resolution issue was thought to be repaired several months back when it last raised its ugly head for many account holders.

If we get any hint of the problem resolution steps being assigned to someone via the JIRA mechanism we'll share them ASAP.

Also, ETAs of solution implementations are traditionally hard to predict, especially from Linden Lab.

Based on the last fix for global DNS resolution problems I'd say that once the issue has been identified that it will end up finding itself into a new SL Viewer Maintenance Release Schedule.

Yeah - The SL Viewer developers use some interesting tricks to do internal DNS resolution with IP Routine Libraries that kind of blew up s few months back towards the beginning of 2014 as I recall. I tested one of the RC Viewers that was suppose to use a more reliable method to be more bullet proof of DNS resolution errors.