Memorial Service for Beta Member Buck Weaver March 23rd

Please accept my humble obeisances. 

My father left his body about 6 months ago. We joined Second Life together over 12 years ago, and I'm 24 now, so that is half of my life. I remember riding in the very first car, some of the first airships, meeting the first of the great thinkers and explorers. Where have they all gone now? It's funny when you read a novel from an older generation, like 'Snow Crash' where virtual reality isn't something you have direct contact with and actually is a part of your life and your family's life. 

My dad spent a lot of time in SL, it was his main hobby. He would invite friends over to see what he made, what he found, and the friends in world he made. He liked going around collecting free items, he had a huge inventory! He had a lot of faith in Second Life, for him sometimes it could be an escape, but often it was just a place where he could find contentiment with the world. Sometimes we would pay the bills with the money we got from Second Life, and I remember he bought my first computer with the money he made in there. We grabbed a few plots of land early on, in some of the first sims. My home was mostly in Jessie, and he had "Buck Mountain" in Kissling. Then I moved, and gave my land allowcation to him to use.

We were always very poor, but having this medium was great, because we could have anything we wanted realized right before us. "Some people work so hard for a motorcycle.. I have 50 of them. And they fly!". He said, "I worked all my life, now it's time for vacation". I think we will see more and more people 'retire into' virtual reality as the years go by.

I feel a bit strange, because Second Life is such a wonderful medium for expression & communication, but we are so limited with land use. It was hard for me to hear, he was taken from this world by a very sudden cancer. One of the last things he told me was, "I need to get out of [the hospital], I need to pay my Second Life bill!". It's sad, but in a way it gave me hope and a lesson.. when I go, I want to leave my [eventual] kids infinite worlds to explore. I want to make that a reality one day.

Buck was a dreamer, a thinker, a care-free guy. We're both Aries, and we keep to ourselves, but when we find a special person, we hold on to them dearly. My mother left us when I was first born, so Buck raised me all on his own. I am so grateful for the many years of self-sacrifice and unconditional love he showed me. Over the past few years I have gone deeply and seriously into Sanatana Dharma or Hindu religion. When my dad first found out, he flipped his lid, "You joined a cult?!". He was a product of the 60's, his brother had Timothy Leary come stay at their house, and he was familiar with the Hare Krishnas from that. But I really took to it, and eventually he saw that I was happy practicing, so he was happy too. By The Lord's mercy, I was able to visit him as he was passing, I put tilak on his forehead and read to him the Bhagavad Gita. It's a little weird to admit, but because my dad had to act in the role of both of my parents, it gave me a strong connection to Goddess Kali, who is said to be both God and His energy in one.

Anyway, I will be holding a memorial service for my dear father on his birthday March 23rd, at 7PM SLT at his place in Kissling. I have an activity planned where we can knock down his building, it's a nice relic from an old time in second life, but admittedly even by him, a bit obtuse. I would like to build a small temple in its place, and maybe hold weekly discussions on Vedanta philosophy there. Donations are welcome, they will go towards my college. He would have been 64.

Yours in faith,
Bhakta Jack

tumblr_ngprptZD0K1t0upeeo1_1280.jpg

Jack Skallagrimson wrote:

Anyway, I will be holding a memorial service for my dear father on his birthday March 23rd, at 7PM SLT at his place in Kissling. I have an activity planned where we can knock down his building, it's a nice relic from an old time in second life, but admittedly even by him, a bit obtuse. I would like to build a small temple in its place, and maybe hold weekly discussions on Vedanta philosophy there. Donations are welcome, they will go towards my college. He would have been 64.

Hello Jack!   I'm always happy to help knock down a building!  So may show for that.  *smiles*   Oh, and you do have an old name, cool to see that.  Sorry, about your family member,....it's interesting that you started in SL as an actual child.  (as opposed to the adults that play as children!) 

I don't donate to causes in SL.   (I do buy goods and services though.)

Good luck with your philosophy discussion venture. I recommend you place a "donation" box in the temple after you build it.  People may wish to give to help with the upkeep.

Celestiall Nightfire wrote:

Hello Jack!   I'm always happy to help knock down a building!  So may show for that.  *smiles*   Oh, and you do have an old name, cool to see that.  Sorry, about your family member,...
.it's interesting that you started in SL as an actual child. 
(as opposed to the adults that play as children!) 

Good luck with your philosophy discussion venture. I recommend you place a "donation" box in the temple after you build it.  People may wish to give to help with the upkeep.

Whats interesting about a child creating an account with a fake birthdate in order to enter a place thats not meant for 12 year olds?

What's done is done.
This isn't a topic about me
, so please don't make it an issue here. It's pretty insensitive of you to say like this.

But, but it is a topic about you!  It is posted in General Discussion.  It is ALL about you all the way down to 50 motorcycles and accepting donations.  Almost every sentence you wrote in your OP was about you. 

And it is pretty insensitive of you to not say like this.

This isn't an argument or a general discussion. It's about honoring the memory of my dead father. Stop trying to call me out on trivial things and bringing negativity to this space. Don't tell me what's appropriate or not, it's not your place at all. It's about me in a way because I'm the pride and joy of my father and he loved me, what more do you want?

I thought your post was beautifully expressed, and I'm sorry for your loss.  I'm glad to hear that your chosen faith tradition provides comfort to you at this time.  I have great affection for the Gita and the Mahabharata as a whole, although in my case it is purely as a great literary work.

I'm also glad to hear that Second Life provided a means for you and your father to spend time together.  Personally, I don't remember there being a big deal made during SL's beta about rl age.  It certainly became a big deal later, but I'm sure your father took care to make sure that you saw appropriate content for your age and maturity level.

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us.

Syo Emerald wrote:

Celestiall Nightfire wrote:

Hello Jack!   I'm always happy to help knock down a building!  So may show for that.  *smiles*   Oh, and you do have an old name, cool to see that.  Sorry, about your family member,...
.it's interesting that you started in SL as an actual child. 
(as opposed to the adults that play as children!) 

Whats interesting about a child creating an account with a fake birthdate in order to enter a place thats not meant for 12 year olds?

That he's still in SL, and it appears he handled it better, than some of the actual adults.  I find that not only interesting, but amusing.

Plus, I'd have done it if SL was around when I was 12.  Would have totally joined with a fake birthday.   Hell, I was going to adult places in RL when I was a teenager.  Would have been all over SL like a duck on water.

Now mind you, I don't allow minors in my sims, and will boot and bann someone, if I even suspect they're under 18.  But, that's more to protect the adults, as I have no personal issue with minors traipsing around adult material. 

Celestiall, I have to agree with you. It seems the OP is a lot more mature than most people. I have a son who has always been able to handle more than most his age with intelligence, and maturity, so I get it. (BTW, yesterday was his 21st birthday, and I got to take him to the bar for his first legal drink. I know that has nothing to do with anything, but it was just so much fun!) 

BlueTrianon wrote:

Personally, I don't remember there being a big deal made during SL's beta about rl age.  It certainly became a big deal later, but I'm sure your father took care to make sure that you saw appropriate content for your age and maturity level.

The beta was before my time, but from all I've heard I was going to say exactly the same. Different time, different concerns.

This thread is a little bit of SL history, preserved in amber. Thanks to the OP for sharing.

Oh, the hypocrisy of 'right on' people who - naturally - could have 'handled' SL with maturity beyond their years if they had been under the TOS age, and, indeed, would have done so because, hey, they are/were fantastic enough to do it, unlike the vast majority who would not be mature enough at that age.

Wow, they even went to 'adult' places in RL, again, because they are sophisticates from a higher realm lol. Yet, these buffoons  still pour scorn on adults playing - as they are permitted under the TOS - child/younger avs.

I really have no words for you, frankly.  Hand me the in-flight sick bag.

For the OP, sound sentiments re. your father. But. You were a TOS breaker.

I am afraid to draw this to your attention, but rules are there - in virtual worlds, and, indeed RL - for EVERYONE.

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

Oh, the hypocrisy
of 'right on' people who - naturally - could have 'handled' SL with maturity beyond their years if they had been under the TOS age, and, indeed, would have done so because, hey, they are/were fantastic enough to do it, unlike the vast majority who would not be mature enough at that age.

:|

ETA Oh, the hypocrisy!

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

Oh, the hypocrisy of 'right on' people who - naturally - could have 'handled' SL with maturity beyond their years if they had been under the TOS age, and, indeed, would have done so because, hey, they are/were fantastic enough to do it, unlike the vast majority who would not be mature enough at that age.

What an odd reaction you're having?   There's no hypocrisy in my post, or the OP's.  (perhaps you should look up the meaning of that word ; )       You're projecting some bitter feelings you have.    What a shame.

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

Wow, they even went to 'adult' places in RL, again, because they are sophisticates from a higher realm lol. Yet, these buffoons  still pour scorn on adults playing - as they are permitted under the TOS - child/younger avs.

Yup.  I went to adult places a lot, starting at about age 12.  Got served in bars at age 16, at a xxx theater at 17, and so on.  That was my experience.  (quite a different time and place : )

I've no idea who, or what, you're referring to about people playing as a child/younger avs?   Not relevant.

Again, it appears that you're projecting emotion from some bitter personal experience.  Maybe you're one of the people who aren't mature enough to handle SL.    Emotional maturity isn't age dependent.

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

I really have no words for you, frankly.  Hand me the in-flight sick bag.

For the OP, sound sentiments re. your father. But. You were a TOS breaker.

I am afraid to draw this to your attention, but rules are there - in virtual worlds, and, indeed RL - for EVERYONE.

*laughing*   You don't seem to handle life very well.   Or, diversity.  Or, other people.  

(Don't forget to look up the definition of:  hypocrisy!   ; )

• 2 weeks later...

This "topic" is about remembering Buck and fond memories in SL with his family and friends - that DOES include memories of 50 motorcycles and sharing time together inworld throughout these 12 years.  SL has always had its share of griefers.  Buck would expect it in this forum, so pay no attention, Jack.

It was a lovely memorial service and I wish you well.

Buck, you are missed!

With love from Joan.