Jump to content

not sure if this is the right place, but the new grid LL's is working on


greek Wingtips
 Share

Recommended Posts

we not had much news on this new SL grid that will eventually take over the SL as we know it

 whats the news on this and have the fears that everyone seems to want to know, are there any answers

 

1 do we loose our land as we know it if we move

2: our invent do we loose that

3: what will work and wont wont.

 I not seen any updates or new to belate people fears on this

 

can anyone emlighted

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The new grid that LL is working on will be a separate world, not SL2 or just an updated version of SL. 

You won't lose your land in SL, because SL will continue as long as it is profitable.  If you decide to give it up that is your decision.  I doubt LL is going to give you land for free on the new grid.  We don't even know what form land ownership will take there.

As to your other questions, LL hasn't said much other than they won't be using LSL scripts in the new world and they won't let backward compatibility interfere with creating the best new world they can. 

They have said your avatar name, $L's and friends list will transfer to the new world if you choose to go there.

I doubt LL is going to say much more until the new grid is in beta phase.  Its still too early for them to be announcing much yet.

I'm not sure why you have 'fear' you don't have to migrate to the new world unless you want to.  You can stay in SL or migrate there or have an account in both worlds.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well its not so much the fear but like you said,"as long as its profitable"  well we know the answer to that question don't we, people are not going to invest into anything that really know will be on its  demise because with the new grid up and running,

Is anyone going to buy land, clothes, buy scripts mest and so forth knowing that one day SL will be closed.

I agree, I cannot see LL being able to run two grids and make a profit,

What I like to see is LL's be honest and say that onece the new grid is up and running then the old will be closed down, but they not going to say that and scare people.

 

 So my worse fears are true, the money I have and meny others that have invested in SL will be poured down the drain, as nobody is going to spend in the old sl.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


greek Wingtips wrote:

Well its not so much the fear but like you said,"as long as its profitable"  well we know the answer to that question don't we, people are not going to invest into anything that really know will be on its  demise because with the new grid up and running,

Why would you assume the new grid will be the demise of SL? Did any of the competing grids kill off SL?

Is anyone going to buy land, clothes, buy scripts mest and so forth knowing that one day SL will be closed.

Anyone who believed SL would be around forever was kidding themselves, so we have all been buying those things knowing one day SL will be closed already. Why would the new grid change that?

I agree, I cannot see LL being able to run two grids and make a profit,

Why not? Two grids, more users, more profit.

What I like to see is LL's be honest and say that onece the new grid is up and running then the old will be closed down, but they not going to say that and scare people.

 
Ebbe said point blank that SL would not be closing in the foreseeable future and would remain open as long as it makes money.. What happens if the new grid sucks? Should LL close SL the day the new grid opens? You seem to think they should. If the new grid doesn't catch on then SL will be here for a long time.

 So my worse fears are true, the money I have and meny others that have invested in SL will be poured down the drain, as nobody is going to spend in the old sl.

Says you. That is the main reason i feel SL will be more used than the new grid. People are comfortable here. No one likes drastic change. The current userbase of SL will try the new grid and some with completely switch over, others will use both and some will stay in SL only..

Essentially this thread is FUD. Chicken little at his best.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Drake 1 , lets look at your arguments and see if they stand up
To your first question
1: Lets not kid ourselves I known many takeovers were companies have bought a similar companies and after a short while they either  joined them or  shut one down and normally that would be the one that does not make profit ,so please lets not kid ourselves , and as  the competing grids, are not owned by the same company hence not coming out of the same profit/loss fund.

2: You say people are kidding themselves if they think SL will be around forever,I don't think people believe that I think your insulting many peoples thoughts and it seems your are contradicting your first question. like many Its  not so much worried about  if Sl closed its the investment many people put into it already if it did close  and do you belive people would still invest if they was a possibity it may close? , your 2nd part of your question I mentioned already  I dont see two grids owned by the same company  offering simular services making a profit.

3: Your question two grids more money? business logic dictates
that if your running two business and they are not sharing the resources IE same structure then I cannot see it running a profit unless you can name me three companies that make a profit similar to what LL proposes
4: You seem to parry phase a lot of " what if" but not actual facts being made
5: As to your last question , again you either have statistics or your guessing, from what I be told private regions have fallen drastically
people are not spending as what they used to be in SL  and I can see there vast amounts of empty land and what I hear many folks are not really happy , now I cannot fool proof say they are facts as I dont have that as factual infomation only by what I been told by many  if you have actual facts please feel free to mention it here ,as for you last statement 
" Essentially this thread is FUD. Chicken little at his best." I think you have answered nothing in your reply is mosty  asking qustions and guessing as to my arguements ,you seem more interested to try and contridict me and displace many things I think may happen you come up with no facts, likewise I never pretending to have either I only pointing out  a very important topic that should have its own agenda either to displaces fears or give us facts on a monthly basics as to whats going on.  I do have a question for you " advice me what you think I should do, should I buy a piece of real estate  on blake sea for  a gross sum of money or should I hold back and possiable wait and see what the new grid has to offer"  

Interesting scenerio huh? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


greek Wingtips wrote:

Drake 1 , lets look at your arguments and see if they stand up

To your first question

1: Lets not kid ourselves I known many takeovers were companies have bought a similar companies and after a short while they either  joined them or  shut one down and normally that would be the one that does not make profit ,so please lets not kid ourselves , and as  the competing grids, are not owned by the same company hence not coming out of the same profit/loss fund.

 

LL is not buying another company, they are releasing a new product..
Does Ubisoft lose money everytime they release a new game? Does Microsoft lose money with each new OS? Does Chevy lose money when the new cars roll out? 

 

2: You say people are kidding themselves if they think SL will be around forever,I don't think people believe that I think your insulting many peoples thoughts and it seems your are contradicting your first question. like many Its  not so much worried about  if Sl closed its the investment many people put into it already if it did close  and do you belive people would still invest if they was a possibity it may close? , your 2nd part of your question I mentioned already  I dont see two grids owned by the same company  offering simular services making a profit.

 

It is not an investment. You are paying for entertainment. Do you play any MMoRPGs? ever pay RL $ for anything? What if they shut down? Would you be out anything?

 

3: Your question two grids more money? business logic dictates

that if your running two business and they are not sharing the resources IE same structure then I cannot see it running a profit unless you can name me three companies that make a profit similar to what LL proposes

hmmm..
Well,
Blizzard has multiple online MMoRPGs.. Aeria has several as well.. Oh wait, Sony.. they make playstation, TVs, cameras, movies, TV shows... Pretty sure they blow LL out of the water, profit wise.

 

4: You seem to parry phase a lot of " what if" but not actual facts being made

You can read the 2000+ reply thread about the new grid for yourself.. Ebbe replied many times there. We are talking about  proposed new system from LL.. There will be a lot of "what ifs" because NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING YET!!

 

5: As to your last question , again you either have statistics or your guessing, from what I be told private regions have fallen drastically

Told by whom? Show your statistics.  I have never said anything other than what Ebbe posted or what was my opinion.

people are not spending as what they used to be in SL  and I can see there vast amounts of empty land and what I hear many folks are not really happy , now I cannot fool proof say they are facts as I dont have that as factual infomation only by what I been told by many  if you have actual facts please feel free to mention it here ,as for you last statement 

Again, show your stats.. LL hasn't released any, so where are you getting your numbers from?

" Essentially this thread is FUD. Chicken little at his best." I think you have answered nothing in your reply is mosty  asking qustions and guessing as to my arguements ,you seem more interested to try and contridict me and displace many things I think may happen you come up with no facts, likewise I never pretending to have either I only pointing out  a very important topic that should have its own agenda either to displaces fears or give us facts on a monthly basics as to whats going on.  I do have a question for you " advice me what you think I should do, should I buy a piece of real estate  on blake sea for  a gross sum of money or should I hold back and possiable wait and see what the new grid has to offer"  

FACT.. They are working on the new grid.. It isn't ready yet.

FACT.. They don't have to tell us anything. Ebbe has already stated that it's business as usual and you should not worry about the future of SL.

If they had waited to announce this new grid until it was done and tested in a year or two, would you have worried about anything? would you have bought land? Why should the possibility of a new grid in the future stop you from enjoying SL NOW?

Interesting scenerio huh? 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We could play tennis all day long and at the end of day  there are players both side of this discussion ,you have your view as that is your prerogative as I do too, but  what your telling me is , that all those that have spent $L1000s of LL's in Sl and if SL went belly up, your quoting "It is not an investment. You are paying for entertainment" I love to hear what some folks would say to that, I am just a small fish in sl and although I have invested in sl
if it did close I know that I not going to re-spend what I already had , as to your quote FACT.. They don't have to tell us anything. Ebbe has already stated that it's business as usual and you should not worry about the future of SL.

Well if what you quote above is true then I have nothing to worry about , Right? here is were I end this now, think enough has been said about it  I do belive it need saying  so , thanks for the discussion.


,

Link to comment
Share on other sites


greek Wingtips wrote:

5: As to your last question , again you either have statistics or your guessing, from what I be told private regions have fallen drastically

people are not spending as what they used to be in SL  and I can see there vast amounts of empty land and what I hear many folks are not really happy , now I cannot fool proof say they are facts as I dont have that as factual infomation only by what I been told by many  if you have actual facts please feel free to mention it here.

 

For years, Tyche Shepherd has been doing a survey of the number of regions in Second Life. This link has charts showing the number of regions over time. The "new grid" was announced around June of 2014. If you look at the charts the rate of regions leaving SL after that announcement is almost identical to the rate leaving SL over the previous two years.

http://gridsurvey.com/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Lindens


Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

hmmm..
Well,
Blizzard has multiple online MMoRPGs.. Aeria has several as well.. Oh wait, Sony.. they make playstation, TVs, cameras, movies, TV shows... Pretty sure they blow LL out of the water, profit wise.



Sony certainly blows us out of the water revenue-wise.  But we may actually beat them profit-wise...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

id like to throw my steaks in and simply request the old secondlife merge with the new secondlife by exporting all users cache files and records of land and work it in sections to the new grid. also the teen grid meh, without the teens you have a bunch of old farts and a bunch of teens acting out against old farts, interating into one unigrid seems far more intertaining and less likely to encourage trolling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ALSO, after thurough analysis of the sim borders and griefer object control i can safely say its legitimateto join all sim borders.

 

pangea is far more fun and enjoyable when u dont have massive borders and quarantine zones

 

and trust me ive played my share of sim games. people react MUCH better to eachother when they have freespace and moveable borders. in the event ofa griefer attack jsut respond automaticly like WE do,

a common phrase "problem? -- theresa hud for that"::

simply havea built in 3 prim hud in each sim and have an automation to reboot that sector if the sim timer goes above 2,500 milliseconds. more than reasonable to control ANY situation that can arize which would cause drama etc

and record the highest script /object count username for the offendees :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Monty Linden wrote:

Sony certainly blows us out of the water revenue-wise.  But we may actually beat them profit-wise...

 

And you STILL can't afford to employ competent support and marketing staff!

Or perhaps ignoring your customers is the mechanism by which you make profits . . .

Link to comment
Share on other sites


gunmaker wrote:

id like to throw my steaks in and simply request the old secondlife merge with the new secondlife by exporting all users cache files and records of land and work it in sections to the new grid. also the teen grid meh, without the teens you have a bunch of old farts and a bunch of teens acting out against old farts, interating into one unigrid seems far more intertaining and less likely to encourage trolling.

I presume, from your multiple solecisms, that you belong to the ignorant younger generation.

[Do us a favour, Linden Lab, reinstate the Teen Grid and send all those who failed English 101 there, regardless of age.]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

i have someone ask me at least once a week about the new second life grid and how it will effect them.

it is true that there are more than one virtual game already and therefore people have the choice as to which game they wish to invest into.

all questions being asked are completely relevant and not un expected.

Many have joined sl and grown with sl over a number of years, some have been here non stop for years, some gone and come back. reason being is at this time SL is still one of the best and in some peoples views still the best virtual world available.

the main question i think should be asked is why are we not seeing more regulat updates.

its the un known that brings people asking more questions, people worrying, people not investing, builders leaving. and as a result this impacts on the profitiability of secondlife.

is it possible to run two worlds along side and still be profitable ? it could be, it might not be. who knows, but not giving those that have been on the sl journey more reasurance is in it self not benifiting the people playing or lindens pockets.

there was once more than one sl, one for the adults and one for the teens, and if i remember rightly, the two worlds were merged to save on costs.

there is more competition now and with that linden need to fight even harder and with that they need to keep their customers happy.

just a few regular updates would be nice ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...