EMERGENCY!!!

Could somebody rush over to Answers and rescue poor Kesawna, who has reinstalled Ubuntu, causing terrible things to happen to her.

Mainly:

• Her keyboard delay is set too short, so letters are repeated.
  • However, some letters aren't appearing at all.
  • Her period key is severely defective, operating only intermittently.
  • None of the other punctuation keys (including Return) appear to be working.
  • Her shift key just doesn't work!

If you are an expert in Ubuntu keyboard remapping please could you help her, or goodness knows what people will think of her.

You don't understand, Karen! It's ONLY in SL that she has these problems, so it can not be the keyboard; it MUST be something to do with the way Second Life interacts with her keyboard drivers.

[if you can't fix it, can't we get that Unix "expert", JohnnyWonderful, or whatever his name is, to respond. Oh, forget that; his own keyboard seems to have similar problems . . . ]

Would this do instead?3b1.jpg

Since I once worked for a company that used to sell Convergent Technology kit, I actually have one of these (AT&T 7300, known as a 3B1 in the UK, which was the first Unix PC) in the garage gathering dust. I even persuaded the London Design Museum to put one on display rather than an IBM PC, an ACT Sirius/Victor (their initial preferred option) or [spit] an Apple machine.

OMG - That AT&T 7300 is so high-tech. Back in the day my Hubby and I used to share this TI 700 portable teletype terminal to talk to the IBM Mainframe computer at the company we both worked for. He was one of the On-call IT Support Staffers and I was the On-call Accounting Department Staffer.

TI700.jpg

I remember our cat loving to play with the paper that unrolled behind the kitchen table as we used this thing.

Such memories.......

LlazarusLlong wrote:

But it doesn't run ANY flavour of Unix...

..snickering..... Oh, I thought we were chatting about keyboards :P

My Bad!

Alternate Reality Answer to the OPs unstated issues: Deciding to relax in SL after getting home and de-stressing with a few beers...... The OP approaches the PC with beer in hand splashing foam generously onto the subject keyboard...

Solution: Apply clear saran wrap to keyboard in the morning.

:D