Jump to content

Limit creators to two inworld creations per day.


Recommended Posts

Preposterous, yet this is exactly what the people asking for thread limits are advocating. Stifling the creative nature of residents is not an option. When you limit threads you are punishing the creative community. As in every part of life, some people excel in some regards where others do not.

I do not understand why some people want to kill off the creative side of people by limiting their creativity. Imagine what kind of virtual world we would have if Philip would have set limits on creativity. Philip’s vision was to fill Second Life with the creativity of the users. Why are people attempting to kill Philip’s vision of a virtual world filled with user based creation?

IMO, limiting creativity in any way sets a precedent for more limitations.

What’s next?

2 posts per day?

2 award-able solutions per day?

2 questions per day?

2 images per day?

2 videos per day?

2 threads viewed each day?

2 logins per day?

2 kudos per day?

2 tags per day?

Ridiculous isn’t it?

 

Say no to limiting creativity by saying no to thread limits.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

 


Venus Petrov wrote:

I would suggest that creating an OP about skins, hair, boots, or eyes is not quite the same as creating inworld content.

I see, so to you creation is not creation?

Is one kind of creation better than another?

Are you belittling the people who author creative threads?

Is it up to you to decide what is to be created and what is not?

This is exactly the kind of censorship I am referring to in the OP.  When this forum was instituted there was zero user content just like when Second Life began. Imagine if Philip said after a week "Too much content, time to limit what we allow". Second Life would not be what it is today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What you are saying would mean then that the definition of "positive" could be almost anything. LL might then want to listen only the things that aren't negative, right? Then they wouldn't care to hear about things that could be very wrong. That would result in nothing but bandaids on things that don't work. Sometimes the best thing to say is exactly the opposite of positive.

If LL puts too much control on the way and how often creative can be expressed, some might lose income. There are a segment of the SL population that earn a RL living through SL and do produce a fair amount of products that would then be disallowed by LL or by those that don't want to see creativity. It is almost like telling kids to color inside the lines. Where would that control end then? It might give us nothing but ghost towns and a lack of things appealing to those that don't create.

As far as threads in the forums...some of the busiest people who speak well and write well might have enough time to have their say. We do need to allow that to find the nuggets of wisdom that we might be looking for. 

In any case, if all those limits were always placed on everyone or every expression of anything, there wouldn't be so many amazing developments in SL. Many creatives might push SL to the limits that provide for the reasons we enjoy SL as much as we do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

Are you belittling the people who author creative threads?

 

 

Define "creative thread," please.

I would not consider threads like "I use Twitter. Do you? Isn't networking great?" or "Are infohubs a good place to meet people?" (from someone whose account is years old) terribly creative.

Don't worry, Susp. Even if post limits are instituted (doubtful that will happen, though limits during a post-registration probation period might help control the L$ scam spam), you'll be top PW.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 


Suspiria Finucane wrote:

 

Venus Petrov wrote:

I would suggest that creating an OP about skins, hair, boots, or eyes is not quite the same as creating inworld content.

I see, so to you creation is not creation?

Is one kind of creation better than another?

Are you belittling the people who author creative threads?

Is it up to you to decide what is to be created and what is not?

This is exactly the kind of censorship I am referring to in the OP.  When this forum was instituted there was zero user content just like when Second Life began. Imagine if Philip said after a week "Too much content, time to limit what we allow". Second Life would not be what it is today.

Define 'creative'.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 


Henry Darkthief wrote:

To be honest, I don't think limiting the number of threads or posts limits creativity in and of itself. However, it does limit the free exchange of ideas, which is a component of the creative process.

 

Question...If a person is only allowed to express their creativity 2 times per day, isn't that limiting creativity? A creative person should be able to express that creativity at the time the thoughts occur. Have you ever had an idea you didn't write down? Do you always remember it?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 


Suspiria Finucane wrote:

 

Henry Darkthief wrote:

To be honest, I don't think limiting the number of threads or posts limits creativity in and of itself. However, it does limit the free exchange of ideas, which is a component of the creative process.

 

Question...If a person is only allowed to express their creativity 2 times per day, isn't that limiting creativity?
A creative person should be able to express that creativity at the time the thoughts occur. Have you ever had an idea you didn't write down? Do you always remember it?

 

If you are suggesting that posting threads in this forum is your sole creative outlet each day then, yes, it would limit your creativity.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 


Venus Petrov wrote:

 

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

 

Venus Petrov wrote:

I would suggest that creating an OP about skins, hair, boots, or eyes is not quite the same as creating inworld content.

I see, so to you creation is not creation?

Is one kind of creation better than another?

Are you belittling the people who author creative threads?

Is it up to you to decide what is to be created and what is not?

This is exactly the kind of censorship I am referring to in the OP.  When this forum was instituted there was zero user content just like when Second Life began. Imagine if Philip said after a week "Too much content, time to limit what we allow". Second Life would not be what it is today.

Define 'creative'.

 

Since you don't know the definition, I will let the scholars define it..

 


creative(cre·a·tive)

adjective

relating to or involving the imagination or original ideas, especially in the production of an artistic work:change unleashes people's creative energycreative writing

(of a person) having good imagination or original ideas:Homer, the creative genius of Greek epic

 

 


Definition of CREATIVE

1

: marked by the ability or power to create: given to creating <the creative impulse>

2

: having the quality of something created rather than imitated: imaginative <the creative arts>

 


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 


Venus Petrov wrote:

 

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

 

Henry Darkthief wrote:

To be honest, I don't think limiting the number of threads or posts limits creativity in and of itself. However, it does limit the free exchange of ideas, which is a component of the creative process.

 

Question...If a person is only allowed to express their creativity 2 times per day, isn't that limiting creativity?
A creative person should be able to express that creativity at the time the thoughts occur. Have you ever had an idea you didn't write down? Do you always remember it?

 

If you are suggesting that posting threads in this forum is your sole creative outlet each day then, yes, it would limit your creativity.

 

 

That would be your assumption, not my suggestion as I suggested nothing of the sort.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 


Suspiria Finucane wrote:

 

Henry Darkthief wrote:

To be honest, I don't think limiting the number of threads or posts limits creativity in and of itself. However, it does limit the free exchange of ideas, which is a component of the creative process.

 

Question...If a person is only allowed to express their creativity 2 times per day, isn't that limiting creativity? A creative person should be able to express that creativity at the time the thoughts occur. Have you ever had an idea you didn't write down? Do you always remember it?

 

To be clear, I am agreeing with you, that we should not be limited to a certain number of posts. But I do disagree that posting is a creative process, on its own. It does have some creativity, and I have certainly read some creative posts, but, to me, a forum is more of a conversation than a creative effort. Writing a novel or a short story is creative. Forums are about exchanging ideas, reporting bugs, requesting features, advertising, spamming, scamming, joking, arguing, debating, thanking, asking, answering and more.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 


Suspiria Finucane wrote:

 

Venus Petrov wrote:

 

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

 

Venus Petrov wrote:

I would suggest that creating an OP about skins, hair, boots, or eyes is not quite the same as creating inworld content.

I see, so to you creation is not creation?

Is one kind of creation better than another?

Are you belittling the people who author creative threads?

Is it up to you to decide what is to be created and what is not?

This is exactly the kind of censorship I am referring to in the OP.  When this forum was instituted there was zero user content just like when Second Life began. Imagine if Philip said after a week "Too much content, time to limit what we allow". Second Life would not be what it is today.

Define 'creative'.

 

Since you don't the definition, I will let the scholars define it..

 

creative(cre·a·tive)

adjective

relating to or involving the imagination or original ideas, especially in the production of an artistic work:change unleashes people's creative energycreative writing

(of a person) having good imagination or original ideas:Homer, the creative genius of Greek epic

 

 


Definition of CREATIVE

1

: marked by the ability or power to create: given to creating <the creative impulse>

2

: having the quality of something created rather than imitated: imaginative <the creative arts>

 


 

Anyone can dig out a definition from a dictionary.  I wanted to know how *you* defined creative since you are using it in a way that does not seem to fit the OED definition.  And, as far as Webster, well, this thread is an imitation.

ETA:  edit post to thread

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 


Suspiria Finucane wrote:

 

Venus Petrov wrote:

 

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

 

Henry Darkthief wrote:

To be honest, I don't think limiting the number of threads or posts limits creativity in and of itself. However, it does limit the free exchange of ideas, which is a component of the creative process.

 

Question...If a person is only allowed to express their creativity 2 times per day, isn't that limiting creativity?
A creative person should be able to express that creativity at the time the thoughts occur. Have you ever had an idea you didn't write down? Do you always remember it?

 

If you are suggesting that posting threads in this forum is your sole creative outlet each day then, yes, it would limit your creativity.

 

 

That would be your assumption, not my suggestion as I suggested nothing of the sort.

 

Cool.  Thanks for the clarification.  Then, it would not limit your creativity.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 


Venus Petrov wrote:

 

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

 

Venus Petrov wrote:

 

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

 

Henry Darkthief wrote:

To be honest, I don't think limiting the number of threads or posts limits creativity in and of itself. However, it does limit the free exchange of ideas, which is a component of the creative process.

 

Question...If a person is only allowed to express their creativity 2 times per day, isn't that limiting creativity?
A creative person should be able to express that creativity at the time the thoughts occur. Have you ever had an idea you didn't write down? Do you always remember it?

 

If you are suggesting that posting threads in this forum is your sole creative outlet each day then, yes, it would limit your creativity.

 

 

That would be your assumption, not my suggestion as I suggested nothing of the sort.

 

Cool.  Thanks for the clarification.  Then, it would not limit your creativity.

 

Again, that would be your assumption as I stated nothing similar to your statement.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 


Venus Petrov wrote:

 

Anyone can dig out a definition from a dictionary.  I wanted to know how *you* defined creative since you are using it in a way that does not seem to fit the OED definition.  And, as far as Webster, well, this thread is an imitation.

ETA:  edit post to thread

 

Perhaps if you were more specific the first time, a person could correctly answer your question without repetitive posts.

Each person has their own definition of creativity. What you consider creativity, others may not and vice versa. Does everyone agree on the creativity or lack thereof on every painting in a museum?

Perhaps if you didn't want to limit creativity, more people would come forward with their ideas sparked by another. Why intimidate people because you don't agree with their definition of creativity.

I, for one, would rather see ideas than stifle them. Why do you want to stifle ideas and the creative process?


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 


Henry Darkthief wrote:

 

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

 

Henry Darkthief wrote:

To be honest, I don't think limiting the number of threads or posts limits creativity in and of itself. However, it does limit the free exchange of ideas, which is a component of the creative process.

 

Question...If a person is only allowed to express their creativity 2 times per day, isn't that limiting creativity? A creative person should be able to express that creativity at the time the thoughts occur. Have you ever had an idea you didn't write down? Do you always remember it?

 

To be clear, I am agreeing with you, that we should not be limited to a certain number of posts. But I do disagree that posting is a creative process, on its own. It does have some creativity, and I have certainly read some creative posts, but, to me, a forum is more of a conversation than a creative effort. Writing a novel or a short story is creative. Forums are about exchanging ideas, reporting bugs, requesting features, advertising, spamming, scamming, joking, arguing, debating, thanking, asking, answering and more.

 

 

I realize that you are agreeing :smileyhappy:

Interesting isn't it, that you are being more creative in your writing by offering more ideas on how you feel about creativity. Ideas are part of the creative process.

Another question...Is a child being less creative by drawing with a crayon than an artist is by painting with oils?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 


Suspiria Finucane wrote:

 

Henry Darkthief wrote:

 

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

 

Henry Darkthief wrote:

To be honest, I don't think limiting the number of threads or posts limits creativity in and of itself. However, it does limit the free exchange of ideas, which is a component of the creative process.

 

Question...If a person is only allowed to express their creativity 2 times per day, isn't that limiting creativity? A creative person should be able to express that creativity at the time the thoughts occur. Have you ever had an idea you didn't write down? Do you always remember it?

 

To be clear, I am agreeing with you, that we should not be limited to a certain number of posts. But I do disagree that posting is a creative process, on its own. It does have some creativity, and I have certainly read some creative posts, but, to me, a forum is more of a conversation than a creative effort. Writing a novel or a short story is creative. Forums are about exchanging ideas, reporting bugs, requesting features, advertising, spamming, scamming, joking, arguing, debating, thanking, asking, answering and more.

 

 

I realize that you are agreeing :smileyhappy:

Interesting isn't it, that you are being more creative in your writing by offering more ideas on how you feel about creativity. Ideas are part of the creative process.

Another question...Is a child being less creative by drawing with a crayon than an artist is by painting with oils?

 

Of course not. Creativity is not about being good or bad at something, a person's age or the medium used. But, you seem to be stretching the definition of what creativity is. There is something undefinable about what we mean by creativity. And no, I don't know any better way to put it, except to describe a couple of scnearios.

A man and a woman get together and create a baby. Is that creativity or procreation?

A group of scientists get together and create a glow-in-the-dark mouse. Is that creativity or research?

A reporter goes to Libya, observes all that is going on. He returns to his hotel and puts in a lot of thought and effort to creating a news article. Is that creativity or journalism?

You and I are posting back and forth creating a discussion. Is that creativity or debate?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The creation of threads, especially those in the top view all the time, should be limited.

That's to prevent any one person or group from constantly, aggressively, outrageously trying to gain the mindshare and the marketshare accordingly in Second Life.

Attention is a scarce resource; the real estate space of the top view threads is a scarce resource. No one person or clique should get to grab an entire platform's scarce resource. They are limited.

Making two prims in world isn't the same as the arrogant attempt to grab the view and grab attention -- and power and sales that go with it -- with contant thread-mongering.

Of course, one hopes that those who use this infantile method will self-discredit at some level and people will begin to ignore them. But that doesn't necessarily always happen quite that way, so I'm for limiting attention grabs like this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 


Henry Darkthief wrote:

 

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

 I realize that you are agreeing :smileyhappy:

Interesting isn't it, that you are being more creative in your writing by offering more ideas on how you feel about creativity. Ideas are part of the creative process.

Another question...Is a child being less creative by drawing with a crayon than an artist is by painting with oils?

 

Of course not. Creativity is not about being good or bad at something, a person's age or the medium used. But, you seem to be stretching the definition of what creativity is. There is something undefinable about what we mean by creativity. And no, I don't know any better way to put it, except to describe a couple of scnearios.

1.
A man and a woman get together and create a baby. Is that creativity or procreation?

2.
A group of scientists get together and create a glow-in-the-dark mouse. Is that creativity or research?

3.
A reporter goes to Libya, observes all that is going on. He returns to his hotel and puts in a lot of thought and effort to creating a news article. Is that creativity or journalism?

4.
You and I are posting back and forth creating a discussion. Is that creativity or debate?

 

1. The root word of procreation is what? :smileywink:

2. In order to create the glow in the dark mouse an idea was created in the minds of the researchers.

3. I would have to read the article. Some people are creative writers and some are informative writers.

4. Since we are creating the discussion.....our thoughts and ideas are at work, therefore not limiting our creative thought process.

To be clear, there is no right or wrong answer for what is creative and what isn't. My question remains for the readers, why limit creativity at all?

Just curious, for believers, was god's creation of excrement any less creative than creating the universe?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 


Prokofy Neva wrote:

The creation of threads, especially those in the top view all the time, should be limited.

That's to prevent any one person or group from constantly, aggressively, outrageously trying to gain the mindshare and the marketshare accordingly in Second Life.

Attention is a scarce resource; the real estate space of the top view threads is a scarce resource. No one person or clique should get to grab an entire platform's scarce resource. They are limited.

Making two prims in world isn't the same as the arrogant attempt to grab the view and grab attention -- and power and sales that go with it -- with contant thread-mongering.

Of course, one hopes that those who use this infantile method will self-discredit at some level and people will begin to ignore them. But that doesn't necessarily always happen quite that way, so I'm for limiting attention grabs like this.

 

2 questions

1. Are you willing to self-limit your blog posts for the same reasons?

2. Would you use a blog service that limited your blog posts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 


Prokofy Neva wrote:

The creation of threads, especially those in the top view all the time, should be limited.

That's to prevent any one person or group from constantly, aggressively, outrageously trying to gain the mindshare and the marketshare accordingly in Second Life.

Attention is a scarce resource; the real estate space of the top view threads is a scarce resource. No one person or clique should get to grab an entire platform's scarce resource. They are limited.

Making two prims in world isn't the same as the arrogant attempt to grab the view and grab attention -- and power and sales that go with it -- with contant thread-mongering.

Of course, one hopes that those who use this infantile method will self-discredit at some level and people will begin to ignore them. But that doesn't necessarily always happen quite that way, so I'm for limiting attention grabs like this.

Why limit everyone's ability to creat new threads when we now have an ignore function?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apples and oranges.

Prok's blog is to do with as he pleases. It's his creation. He's not competing (gawd, I hate that word.. almost as much as I hate those who feel everthing is a competition.. ) for space.

If you want a platform to be "creative" on 24/7/365, there are many other options available.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...