Transferring property ownership to a vendor

Question

This is normal practice for sims for which you own and not so much for "group owned parcels" and also definately not for land owned on mainland. As a merchant I prefer to rent parcels for my stores from sims where I can directly purchase the land in the about land tab so that I can deed the land to my own group. This is useful because then one can add his/her store name in the parcel name also one has full rights over the parcel including the description field which is useful for making your store show up in search. 

• Like 1

6 answers to this question

This is normal practice for sims for which you own and not so much for "group owned parcels" and also definately not for land owned on mainland. As a merchant I prefer to rent parcels for my stores from sims where I can directly purchase the land in the about land tab so that I can deed the land to my own group. This is useful because then one can add his/her store name in the parcel name also one has full rights over the parcel including the description field which is useful for making your store show up in search. 

• Like 1

When I used to do commercial rentals the parcels were always kept in the my Group & the vendors had all the same rights within the group that they would get by having it in their name.

The main reason it was done that way was so that the prim count was not restricted to the parcel size, as I found that most vendors wanted more prims as opposed to a bigger plot. So it meant that I could cut smaller and odder shaped plots to fit their shops and allocate whatever prims they wanted through their rental boxes.

• Like 1

In my experience as a merchant (active for 5 years or so), what is normal is for a rented space in a mall or other shared retail area to be owned by a group created for that mall's merchants, run/owned by the person who owns the the land itself, and with member roles cleanly set so that the mall owner retains their property rights, but the merchants have the abilities they need for rezzing prims and preventing auto-return of their prims. Then the merchants SET, not DEED their vendors and merchant area prims, like signs, to the merchant's group. This allows auto-return to be on for the mall, so discarded opened packages and boxes go away, but merchant-owned prims don't. It also allows the mall to eject/ban troublemakers mall-wide.

It should absolutely NOT be required for the merchants to DEED their vendor prims to the merchant group. Doing that would make the money earned by the vendor get paid to the Group members!

The only real benefit to a merchant from actually 'owning' the parcel that they rent in a shared merchant area is that they can ban/eject problem people from their own store. I would never set a mall up that way. Honestly, it's better to leave that to the mall's administrators. If they are trouble in your store, they should probably be banned mall-wide. And if the mall owners retain the ability to ban/eject, they can take care of griefers when you're not around.

• Like 1

Expanding a little on what Ceera said, if the issue is the merchant being able to eject/ban people from their store (but not the mall as a whole), a useful solution can be something like hippoSECURE owned and configured by the mall owner, not the merchant.  With the proper setup, it can be set to only protect the specific coordinate cube that represents the merchant's store and set to only allow them to use it in "black list" mode, so that it never spams general visitors to the mall and only ejects blacklisted people from the merchant's specific area (eject rather than TP home is probably the better setup here, as it's not such a good idea to be forcibly sending someone away from your mall unless they have been banned by the mall owner/admins).

• Like 1