Can I own land with a free acount

Piie Maverick

Question

There is no way with any sort of account currently available from Linden Lab for you to pay a one-time fee for land, and then never pay anything at all, ever again, to retain ownership.

• If you are a Premium Member, one of the perks of membership is that you can indeed purchase a 512 M2 parcel of land, and retain it without paying a monthly fee for that parcel. BUT, you still have to pay the monthly (or quarterly or annual, depending on how you set it up) membership fees for your Premium Membership dues. So that "Free Land" is free in the same sense that if you pay for an annual membership in a golf country club, you can play a certain number of games of golf that year for free. You're still paying an annual fee, it's just part of your dues. Stop paying the dues, and they will reclaim your 'free' land.
  • If you are a Basic member, you can purchase, or more accurately lease, land from a private sim owner. They pay Linden Lab a one-time fee to own a whole sim, and pay Linden Lab monthly fees to retain ownership of their sim. You, as their tenant, pay them a one-time fee to get the land (some times a very small fee or even zero up front), plus a monthly payment that covers your share of the monthly cost of keeping that sim alive, plus a small profit for your landlord.
  • Any resident can directly purchase a private sim of their own from Linden Lab. You don't have to be a Premium member to become a private sim owner. You  pay Linden Lab a one-time fee to own a whole sim, and pay Linden Lab monthly fees to retain ownership of your sim. Maybe, if you set things up well and run your sim well, you can become a landlord yourself, and sub-lease parts of your sim to others as your tenants, and if you are very lucky and do well as a landlord, that may even make enough profit to cover all your expenses, so that effectively you don't pay any monthly fee yourself, because your tenants pay it for you, while leaving a modest parcel for you to use yourself, 'rent free'. In practice, this rarely works out profitably on a small scale like owning only one or two sims. Large landlords have several advantages, including discounted rates to obtain the sims, discounted rates to pay for monthly maintenance, and the flexibility that if their tenant level fluctuates, they can drop a few sims or pick up a few extra sims to compensate for that, without losing everything.

Regardless of how you own land in Second Life, what you're really doing is renting server space. Linden Lab has to purchase, provide maintenance for, provide power for, and provide administrative staffing for that server. They have monthly cost that they pay, in real money, for keeping it on-line. So you have a monthly fee to pay for your share of the resources that you are asking to have access to.

Even if you go to one of the alternative grids that are similar to SL, and that will allow you to download free server software and install it on a computer that you own, and then connect your computer to their grid so others can visit your home-served sim, you still have to pay the power bill for keeping that computer on-line 24x7, and any maintenance costs to keep it running.

Very few things in life are free, other than the air that you breathe. You can't expect to get something of value for nothing.

A long time ago, when LL was first starting out and had very few members, they did offer a "Lifetime Membership", which gave the buyer, for a one time fee, a permanent membership in SL, and a certain amount of land, tier free. Those memberships were very expensive, and so you still effectively were paying up front for what you would use over the next several years.

6 answers to this question

There is no way with any sort of account currently available from Linden Lab for you to pay a one-time fee for land, and then never pay anything at all, ever again, to retain ownership.

• If you are a Premium Member, one of the perks of membership is that you can indeed purchase a 512 M2 parcel of land, and retain it without paying a monthly fee for that parcel. BUT, you still have to pay the monthly (or quarterly or annual, depending on how you set it up) membership fees for your Premium Membership dues. So that "Free Land" is free in the same sense that if you pay for an annual membership in a golf country club, you can play a certain number of games of golf that year for free. You're still paying an annual fee, it's just part of your dues. Stop paying the dues, and they will reclaim your 'free' land.
  • If you are a Basic member, you can purchase, or more accurately lease, land from a private sim owner. They pay Linden Lab a one-time fee to own a whole sim, and pay Linden Lab monthly fees to retain ownership of their sim. You, as their tenant, pay them a one-time fee to get the land (some times a very small fee or even zero up front), plus a monthly payment that covers your share of the monthly cost of keeping that sim alive, plus a small profit for your landlord.
  • Any resident can directly purchase a private sim of their own from Linden Lab. You don't have to be a Premium member to become a private sim owner. You  pay Linden Lab a one-time fee to own a whole sim, and pay Linden Lab monthly fees to retain ownership of your sim. Maybe, if you set things up well and run your sim well, you can become a landlord yourself, and sub-lease parts of your sim to others as your tenants, and if you are very lucky and do well as a landlord, that may even make enough profit to cover all your expenses, so that effectively you don't pay any monthly fee yourself, because your tenants pay it for you, while leaving a modest parcel for you to use yourself, 'rent free'. In practice, this rarely works out profitably on a small scale like owning only one or two sims. Large landlords have several advantages, including discounted rates to obtain the sims, discounted rates to pay for monthly maintenance, and the flexibility that if their tenant level fluctuates, they can drop a few sims or pick up a few extra sims to compensate for that, without losing everything.

Regardless of how you own land in Second Life, what you're really doing is renting server space. Linden Lab has to purchase, provide maintenance for, provide power for, and provide administrative staffing for that server. They have monthly cost that they pay, in real money, for keeping it on-line. So you have a monthly fee to pay for your share of the resources that you are asking to have access to.

Even if you go to one of the alternative grids that are similar to SL, and that will allow you to download free server software and install it on a computer that you own, and then connect your computer to their grid so others can visit your home-served sim, you still have to pay the power bill for keeping that computer on-line 24x7, and any maintenance costs to keep it running.

Very few things in life are free, other than the air that you breathe. You can't expect to get something of value for nothing.

A long time ago, when LL was first starting out and had very few members, they did offer a "Lifetime Membership", which gave the buyer, for a one time fee, a permanent membership in SL, and a certain amount of land, tier free. Those memberships were very expensive, and so you still effectively were paying up front for what you would use over the next several years.

There is one way...but it would involve you having some nice friends.

Create a Group, get all your premium friends to join, the ones that are not using their 512 land allowance - This is harder now since Linden homes were introduced, because a lot of them use their 512 to get a Linden home.

Get them all to donate their 512`s to the group & then go and buy a mainland plot, using the Buy For Group option. You will then have group owned tier-free land. The more donations you get the bigger the land you can have.

I had lovely 2048sqm of double prim land in Nautilus tier-free for a long time this way, but as I say it is harder now to find people not using their allowance.

• Like 1

Hi Peewee this answer explains it very well to me! I thought if you have another avi (or even your own alt) donate land to group you received a bonus of 10% land. It sounds instead like each 512 alottment can be combined. So if my alt and I are both premium and my alt donates her allotment to the group than I can own a 1024 plot with no tier?

Correct, if you both donate your 512s you can buy a 1024....There was just 4 of us to get the 2048 & with the Group bonus I had a small plot on another sim which only had 40+ prims that I used for my buisness, advertising.

If you use the bonus to get a small plot on the same sim as your other land, even if they aren`t close enough to join together, the prims are shared between them so you can use more prims on ur main plot....It all helps :)

• Like 1