Help for a building noob?

I am wanting to make some scuplties for a project. I have a few questions about sculpties. First off, I am wanting to put a texture on the sculpty, do I have to make the UV map without it, or could I save L$ and put the texture on it before I make the UV map? And how exactly do you make a UV map in blender? Also how do you make a body crusher? I know I can always buy one, but I need to make one so that I can make it transferable, as I am wanting to sell this when I am finished. I know I sound so noobish, but please don't be too hard on me lol.

I know that I am probably going to make people who read this face palm, but I need to ask it.... How to you make those sculpty maps in blender? From a dae  to be more exact? I have primstar on blender working, but whatever I  try to get it make a sculpty map out of the dae file I get a message in the command prompt saying "debug gui 000 - bake failed after 0.1117 sec." I have tried convrting the file to .blend and have tried opening it in the mesh> sculpt mesh thing but that hasn't worked eaither. Help please?