how does LL protect my account details from hackers?

CatFlinger

Question

The only way that you might get an answer to your questions would be to ask Linden Lab.  Lindens never come to this resident-to-resident Answers area, so they are unlikely to see (and certainly unlikely to respond to) your questions here.  Since we are all SL residents like you, we can only guess at the answers. 

You might try sending a letter to

Linden Lab Headquarters

945 Battery Street
San Francisco, CA 94111

• Like 2

2 answers to this question

The only way that you might get an answer to your questions would be to ask Linden Lab.  Lindens never come to this resident-to-resident Answers area, so they are unlikely to see (and certainly unlikely to respond to) your questions here.  Since we are all SL residents like you, we can only guess at the answers. 

You might try sending a letter to

Linden Lab Headquarters

945 Battery Street
San Francisco, CA 94111

• Like 2

As Rolig says, nobody knows except Linden Lab.

However, I will say here that it seems to me that SL's system for protecting your account indicates a low level of security consciousness on their part.  There is only one level of protection, your password.  Your username is public.

In addition, back in the days when we had an Age Verification program, LL used a third party company that collected public data on people to verify your identity and age.  They always SAID that this company did not retain your data...but I have my doubts.  After all, collecting data about people was their business.

How can you protect yourself?

• Register an email address for SL that you use ONLY for SL.
  • Use a strong password, and change it often.
  • Password protect your computer.
  • Use both a hardware and a software firewall
  • Use a good antivirus program and scan your system daily.
  • Use a malware detection program too.  You don't need to keep multiple security programs running at the same time, but do use more than one program to do regular scans. 
  • Do not leave "Remember My Password" checked on the viewer log in screen.
  • Use a verified PayPal account as your payment method, back it up with a RL bank account that is used only for SL, and don't keep more money in either PayPal or your RL account than you can afford to lose.

Having said all that, I know of only one instance in SL's history when any account information was stolen by hackers.  In that one case, the data was encrypted, and no one ever reported their personal information being used.

• Like 2