Windows 10 crashing and Second Life

So ever since I upgraded to Windows 10, Second Life has been crashing my entire computer.  Causes the computer to restart.  This happens with either the official SL viewer and Firestorm.  The error is always the same; DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (NETIO.SYS)

I haven't a clue what that means.  Any solutions or advice?

Thanks

IRQL blue screens generally mean a driver has malfunctioned in a way which triggers Windows to attempt to protect itself.  Being that it's netio.sys, it's probably your network drivers. (>_<)

There's a chance that the network drivers from your prior OS were retained without an update from Microsoft or got corrupted at some time prior or duing the update.  Now that Win10 is in place, it's addressing this un-updated or corrupted functionality and running into something that will no longer work. (._.)

From here, I suggest looking for a spcecific driver for your network device and manually updating it.  Don't rely on Windows update.  Odds are, it's the source of the problem.  Instead, find your adapter's specific drivers.  For a turn-key system like Dell, you'll likely find supporting drivers on the Dell site.  Integrated adapters in branded motherboards like  Asus will be found on the Asus site.  If all of that is exhausted, try the chip manufacturer directly.  Even if the driver you find is the same one already installed or there doesn't seem to be a Win10 option available at the time, go for it anyway.  Try installing the driver using Windows device manager and going through the specific menus to manually pick the exact .inf you've downloaded. (^_^)

If Windows prevents you from re-installing a driver because it matches what you already have, delete the device from the device manager.  Refresh the system for hardware changes and it should ask for driver files which you can direct to what you've downloaded.  You basically want to force-feed your new files into Windows.  (^_^)y

• 2 months later...

I also am experiencing this netio.sys crash. it happens only with SL and nothing else so far. I took Jellin's advice and addressed the network drivers. all are the most up to date so i removed them for reinstal. still no affect :(((. Anybody have another suggestion? I went from Windows 7 HP to Win10.

It might be useful if people would share what network adapter and driver they use, perhaps there is a pattern.

Start > Computer Management > Device Manager, then expand Network adapters, double-click adapter, gather information from Driver tab.

You can see in mine how the driver for the Qualcomm adapter is the Microsoft provided one that came with Windows 10 install, while the Intel adapter uses the manufacturer's driver.