SL2 Not viewer 2, but the NEW NEW SL?

Fitch Woodrunner

Question

2 answers to this question

Fitch, from what I've read so far, LL appears to be aiming to make Sansar appealing to a much wider range of clients...particularly corporate clients, professional content creators, and website developers.  It will probably incorporate a much larger degree of virtual reality (you know, 3D goggles and body/hand/motion sensors.)  While the latter could be a draw for current SL residents, I suspect the former will work to make Sansar less appealing to the current population of Second Life.

For an analogy, consider Adobe Flash.  It's a set of software tools that lets designers dress up their websites with video and make them more functional and appealing.  Now imagine that someone (we'll call them LL) creates a set of software tools that lets people build a virtual reality as a part of their website.  Their world, their imagination, right?  But not A virtual world...MANY virtual worlds.  I'm sure that some of them at least will be linked into a larger world, something like the OpenSim Hypergrid.

Sansar is currently in a closed beta...you had to be invited to participate, and the invitees were people skilled in making mesh content.  

But I think SL will be around for a long time!  Philip Rosedale hit on a winning formula when he invented it, and nobody, not even LL, has managed to come up with a better one.

Disclaimer:  The above is speculation and opinion.  I have access to the same rumors and vague pronouncements as anyone else, but zero inside knowledge.  Throw it in the "rumor" bin.