Huge problems regarding the creation of a starting avatar

Gabeplease

Well, first of all I want to say hey there to the people who recently joined / people who played this more than enough. ( Hopefully this is the right section to be posting this ).

I tried searching on youtube, I tried to google some things and find out new stuff about the game itself but as much as I am trying to evolve, I simply cannot get to a conclusion so I have different questions for those that enjoy the customization of Second Life characters and I would really appreciate some help. 

At the moment, I have no money implemented in SL but different people told me you can make your avatar look ''somewhat'' decent by getting some free shapes / skins / hairstyles / clothes or some that cost only 1 Linden so I gave it a few tryouts but still no happy ending. I decided to start with a shape so I went to the marketplace and got myself the >>NEGURA<< Damian Shape XMAS ( which is 1 Linden -sadface- ) so... obviously I tried to attach it to my character ( or ''wear'' it ). 

My big question for people that navigate on the forums often.. why does the shape not connect with the avatar itself and it simply stays blocked on certain levels of the body ( An example, right over here: Click ). I tried removing all the possible newbie attachments and start from the bottom but I simply cannot understand the system.. it would take a while for me to understand how to combine Shapes and such..

So if anybody checks this and has the time to read the whole thing that I wrote here, please... Some suggestions on how to make a good looking avatar would be beyond appreciated as I said at the top of this thread ( I am looking to add some money in it but it is always good to have something more than a simple beginner avatar, at least that is what I think ). 

Thank you.

what you recieved, so what you are trying to wear, is not the shape but the package.

in order to unbox your shape, you must find a land that allow everyone to rezz things on the ground. Open the search window and type "sandbox" (the ones at the top are usually reserved for premium members only, but look below and you will see tons of sandbox opened to everyone) and teleport you there.

Once you are there, click on the box in your inventory and holding the mouse drag the item to the ground.

You will see your box on the ground.

Now, you right click on it and you select "open", then in the small window poping up, "copy to my inventory"

Check the tab "recent items" in your inventory and you should see a folder with the shape inside. you just have to doble click on the shape (or right click and wear) and you will wear the shape right away.

Notice that icons in the inventory are not the same.

For the package you have smth like a cube in front of the name.

For the shape the icon is different.

This will be useful for you in the future in order to get infos about what type of item your things are.

Also, there are a lot of blogs specialized in freebies or cheap stuffs and some presents good quality items.

you can, for instance, type "fabfree" in google and you will get the link to their blog. you can have there great infos about freebies, dollarbies and other great offers and u get the links to go there in sl.

There are a lot of other blogs like that. you can do some search in googles. 

good luck 

Gabeplease wrote:

Okay, I got the hang off the unboxing, now going to my last question.. can somebody offer me the best Shapes and Skins that fit together? To make a decent looking human avata
r?

P.S: Thank you to those that responded so far.

That is all personal preference. you will get thousands of combinations as replies. For a really good skin/shape combo you will have to spend some money in SL. for 50L you can join the  menstuff group, they have lots of free quality stuff at their lounge, including shapes and skins. they also run the Menstuff hunt, which is huge.

I doubt every single person who just joined SL came here with a bag full of cash (At least not at the very beginning)  I've seen some people browsing the marketplace with no money at all and their avatars look quite appealing. That is why I even asked, I would love to hear the ideas of other people regarding the combinations and what did they work with when they just started this.

Gabeplease wrote:

I doubt every single person who just joined SL came here with a bag full of cash (At least not at the very beginning)  I've seen some people browsing the marketplace with no money at all and their avatars look quite appealing. That is why I even asked, I would love to hear the ideas of other people regarding the combinations and what did they work with when they just started this.

How do you see people browsing the marketplace and how do you know they have no money? It doesnt take much to get a really good av.. 10USD is 2500L. If that will really break the bank, then you have bigger issue than a good looking av.

There is obviously something called YouTube. I did not come here to start an argument, I came here to ask about the unboxing problem ( which I was helped with ) and at the very end I was wondering the best combinations for a startup avatar. Some people do not own a Credit Card or a PayPal (at least not at the moment), I have always bought things using the PaySafeCard method which is one of the most easiest ways to do (using mainly Euro), but that method is not available here, that is why I am even asking about the typical 0L - 10L items. To look normal and not use the classic outfits that u get at the start of the game. So if you do not wish to share some knowledge about shapes/skins then there are other topics much more interesting than this one for you to check, my friend. Trust me, money is not an issue as far as I know so you cannot come with a conclusion like that. ^^ 

But I appreciate you trying to get involved with my thread, I hope you have a wonderful day.

"Best" is extremely subjective and rarely free. 

Check out Fabfree - most of the stuff there is for women, but if you hunt through a bit, there are some men's items as well. 

You can also try hunts. Here and here are two lists of upcoming and ongoing hunts. A hunt is an event where stores or sims each hide an object containing an item somewhere in the store or on the sim and provide clues to find it. You teleport from location to location and collect the objects, and get the items inside! Many, though not all, are free. 

Check out groups, as well. Look inworld for groups that will tell you about free or cheap items, and also look for groups that offer group gifts. 

One problem you're likely to run into is that many people create their shapes themselves, or heavily edit a shape, rather than wearing a purchased shape straight out of the box. If you find a skin you like, try creating or editing a shape to complement it. Keep a special eye on head size, hand size and arm length. You can look however you wish, of course, but proper proportion DOES go a long way towards creating a good-looking human avatar. Pinhead with T-Rex arms isn't really a good look for anyone. 

Gabeplease wrote:

There is obviously something called YouTube. I did not come here to start an argument, I came here to ask about the unboxing problem ( which I was helped with ) and at the very end I was wondering the best combinations for a startup avatar. Some people do not own a Credit Card or a PayPal (at least not at the moment), I have always bought things using the PaySafeCard method which is one of the most easiest ways to do (using mainly Euro), but that method is not available here, that is why I am even asking about the typical 0L - 10L items. To look normal and not use the classic outfits that u get at the start of the game. So if you do not wish to share some knowledge about shapes/skins then there are other topics much more interesting than this one for you to check, my friend. Trust me, money is not an issue as far as I know so you cannot come with a conclusion like that. ^^ 

But I appreciate you trying to get involved with my thread, I hope you have a wonderful day.

Now i m very confused.. What does Youtube have to do with the Marketplace? Do people record themselves shopping on the Marketplace and post it on Youtube? That sounds... boring as hell.

As I said, in all honesty, if you want a really good skin you will have to pay something for it. Even if it's the cost of joining a group for the free gifts or for a hunt.

If you need the funds to join the Menstuff group, shoot me an IM and i will give it to you. They have so many quality items for men and woman. And they sponser several hunts.

You can look on the Marketplace for cheap/free skins and shapes. This is a search i did. CLICK HERE

I do hope that helps. I was nottrying to come off as an a$$, but thetruth is, SL is not a typical "game". Most do not consider it one as there are no goals, no levels, no respwans or anything like that. Unless you join a sim that has a roleplay system for that.

There are freebies.. Most of them suck. Unless you have to pay somewhere for omething to get them.

I am sending you a skin. It is no copy, so you better take it. It is from the Marketplace and it says "Marianne Little has sent you a gift" in the popup box.

I am not sending you it again. When you unpack, do not delete the boxes in it that says Slink appliers. You may need them in the future.

Here is the ad for the skin... take it or leave it. IMHO it is the best for 5L you can get. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/7-Deadly-sKins-MARCUS-skin/7673837

First off, unless you dislike taking charity, accept the skin Marianne sent and Drake's generous offer for Menstuff membership. If you haven't already, follow Ariel's advice and check out the Fabfree blog. Their advice is worth taking.

Next, I'd look at Drake's MP search of male skins. Grab a few freebies from there and see what you like. If you have time to spare, search out some demos too. You might not be able to afford the full-price skins, but they'll give you an idea of what's available and how good/bad skins can look. Just as importantly, they'll give you landmarks to stores: stores who often give away excellent quality skins for no more than joining their customer group. I've picked up some amazing skins this way.

As has been mentioned, you can make your own shape for free. Not everyone has the talent to do this well, but then a lot of shapes sold in SL aren't so fantastic either. For something to base your shape on, I recommend starting with Vitruvian shapes and the mesh standard sizes. Both are free. The Vitruvian shapes are designed with sensible human proportions. Even if you want to go taller or bulkier, they give you a good place to start. If you keep the relevant slider values set to those in the Standard Sizing package, there's a good chance that any free mesh clothing you find will fit correctly.

eta: apologies, Marianne; I mistakenly answered your post instead of the OP.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

As I said, in all honesty, if you want a really good skin you will have to pay something for it. Even if it's the cost of joining a group for the free gifts or for a hunt.

7 Deadly skins is having an event now.  While the event is going on, the group is free to join and they have very good group gifts, lucky chairs and Midnight Mainia prizes.

Speaking of 7 deadly skins, you should really join the group while it is free. Groups that give away items that normally sell for 1K lindens, is too good to pass.  

Men have a harder time finding free stuff, but you can manage to pick up the stuff you like best from the MOH hunt that ends september 13. Busy, busy! But take your time to read how it works on the MOH hunt website. http://flairforevents.wix.com/menonly#!moh6-hints/cwz9

You already learnt how to unbox stuff, so when you collected all your free beers, you will have a good time unpacking them. I know I start to sound like a 7 Deadly Skins groupie, but they have a free skin hidden in the MOH hunt. That brings you up in 3 different 7 Deadly Skins - the 5L that is a limited Marketplace offer, the group gift and the MOH hunt price. Mina hair is another goodie.

It illustrates that those who have goodlooking free avatars have to be constantly searching for free/very cheap stuff. Reading blogs and following Flickr groups for free things in SL. Now there is 3 good quality skins to be had, when the MP is sold out they are gone, when the hunt is over it is gone, when the group is set to be a pay-for group again the group gift isn't free to grab. 

Link to a MOH blogpost: https://fabfree.wordpress.com/2015/09/09/the-mens-only-hunt-part-2/

https://fabfree.wordpress.com/2015/09/02/on-the-hunt-once-again/

Ok, go to the search function and type in the word "freebie".  Go to one of the gazillion places it recommends.  This will get you something that looks pretty much human unless it specifically says otherwise.  You do not need any $L to look halfway decent in SL: but others are right, the really good stuff does cost some money.  It may take a long time to find something you really like: but there are thousands of options for free looks.  Also you can browse the marketplace for freebies (things that cost 0$L). Make sure you're using a classic avatar: the free mesh avatars that come with your account can't wear any clothes besides the ones they came in.  You can change the shape of your classic avatar right in your appearance menu.  Also, if it's the lack of movement that's bothering you, you can add physics to your avatar in the appearance menu as well.  Experiment a bit and find something that works for you, or change your shape and look every day: whatever you want.  

AithneSilver wrote:

Ok, go to the search function and type in the word "freebie".  

Unfortunately, a lot of the places tagged as "freebie" are full of outdated crap and stolen content. Many are plagued by griefers and spampires who hope to find newbies to prey upon. There are good finds here and there, but with a few exceptions it isn't worth the trouble.

Your suggestions of Marketplace freebies and experimentation with the appearence menu are much better ideas.