Why do some things never show?

Dorod

Question

Try setting your Draw Distance to a lower setting.   You will find that in Me - Preferences - Graphics.  The order is which SL wants to render objects is funny sometimes and objects further away will render before the ones near you.  By reducing your draw distance you allow the viewer to only render those things near to you.  Hopefully that will make a difference for you.

--Cinn

2 answers to this question

Try setting your Draw Distance to a lower setting.   You will find that in Me - Preferences - Graphics.  The order is which SL wants to render objects is funny sometimes and objects further away will render before the ones near you.  By reducing your draw distance you allow the viewer to only render those things near to you.  Hopefully that will make a difference for you.

--Cinn

That's really wierd, isn't it?  There's one section of one wall in my house that is always the last one to rez too -- sometimes as much as 15 seconds after the rest of the house has appeared.  I don't know why that one behaves that way, in particular.  It just does.  Cinn's right that your viewer will always prefer to render nearby objects first, but there's a degree of randomness too.  Some things just take forever.

In order to keep your GPU from hanging up and failing to rez some things, the Firestorm viewer prioritizes rendering deliberately when you log in.  It forces your graphics card to spread the load out over 6 - 10 seconds instead of trying to do it all at once.  You can slow down (or speed up) that process with a choice in Preferences >> Graphics >> Rendering >> Time to delay while pre-caching before showing world . You can also cut down the number of HTTP textures that Firestorm tries to fetch at once to see if that helps.  On the same page in Preferences that I just point to, see Max number of concurrent HTTP GET requests .