Giving items on touch that are resold

Deja Letov

For builders who are giving items on touch, for example, if I have a book on a desk that when touched gives out another book, is there a way to do this and stay within licensing rights of the sculpt or do I need to find a sculpt that the creator gives permission for me to do this? If I am selling this desk to someone, even if the desk is copy only, wouldn't the book inside have to be full perms to give it out to others aside from the owner? Is there a script or anything I can force it to change permissions when rezzed? Ive seen this in a TON of creations, so are people doing some sort of scripting trick or just ignoring licensing?

Well, this isn't going to be about scripting because indeed scripts cannot alter permissions, but I get the sense there's some more fundamental confusion here... possibly I'm not understanding the question.

A typical way something like this might work is that the owner of the giving-stuff-away object bought a licensed asset -- perhaps a sculpted prim in this case -- that has full perms to that owner.  The license terms probably specify that it cannot be distributed in full perms to others, so the owner rezzes the thing, sets its next-owner permissions to comply with the terms of the license, takes it back into inventory, and then places it in the contents of the object that's going to distribute it.

Presumably some part of that process doesn't apply to the case being cited here, or there wouldn't be a question.

I use a server for that sort of thing when I have to,  though I'd normally prefer to shop around for a sculptmap that can be freely redistributed (or nag my business partner into making one).

@Qie -- a typical scenario would be if you're making -- for example --- a drinks dispenser that gives out glasses of whatever people choose.   If you're selling the dispenser, the wine and beer glasses "inside" it have to be copy transfer for the next owner,  or it will give him drinks but not anyone else, and if you've bought the sculpt maps of the glasses, you probably can't rely on the purchaser to set the perms on those.    And, in any case, the licence under which you -- the maker of the drinks dispenser -- bought the sculptmaps probably doesn't allow you to supply to your customers with copy-transfer glasses inside it.

Thanks Unnula, that's what I've been mainly doing, trying to find sculpts or animations that are freely distributed or have a license that states only the actual sculpt map can't be given out with full perms. I guess I need to just learn to make sculpts myself  lol.