Long term stalker - Long read

I have had a stalker for 3 years now. I had to leave my main because of this. He was my partner for 1 1/2 years and stalked me while we were together. I understand how he did it while we were together (he could map me then, oh, and a little script he put in a ring i always wore, without my knowledge) After he poofed without a word, and noticed the stalking continued, I dumped everything I wore while with him. All new copies of things I made before wearing the first time. But he would find me anyways and IM anyone I was interested in, all his alts show up on any land i buy within hours of buying it.

So, I made an alt (not this one) and left my main altogether. I actually cancelled her. Everything was quit for a couple months, then when I met a guy and he bought a homestead they started showing up again. I made the mistake of IMing the first one. I didnt know about rigged viewers giving my location info.

Well, I made ANOTHER alt. absolutely NO ONE knew or knows its me. I dont go the same places, dont hang out with anyone from my previous lives, and I dont even live on the same sim. Absolutely NO connection to my previous lives.  Guess what..They are showing up in droves after just 3 wks.

My question is how and how do I have a peaceful SL without looking over my shoulder anymore. For crying out loud, HE poofed well over a year ago and still stalking. I have AR'd every alt I see for the past 2 years and nothing from LL to help.

Were it me, i would not cancel or change or get alts, but let him stalk you, let your new BF know what is going on, and then start taking in documentation of threats, what he is doing etc. and then AR his arse, and send a list of alts, and ask for a hard drive ban from SL. Be sure any IM's or threats have a date and time stamp, turn  all this in with your A/R report. If he is just hanging around, theres not much you can do other than ignore and mute him, he probably will get tired of that, as soon as you stop making alts, and making it more of a challenge than it needs to be.

LL won't get into that kind of dispute I don't think, unless there's some _active_ harrassment and they can see it in their logs.

If he keeps finding you regardless of using a new alt etc.pp. I'd ask whether it's possible that he installed some trojan on your PC. Not entirely uncommon, and some of these are nearly impossible to detect or remove.

Jaclyn Bouevier wrote:

I have set the privacy in my web page profile on those accounts. I feel I have done everything I can to stop this to no avail.

does anyone else know your alts but you?

are you going back to the same friends every time you make a new alt..

also a big thing to look out for is in your media settings..try keeping auto media off and media off and don't connect to any outside websites from sl if they are somehow getting ip information and lining it up with you..they won't be able to get it if you click off the things that connect you with outside servers ..

he may have you on some global system on the grid.some of those had alt detectors in them..if for some reason there is one around..you may be on one..try and see  if you can make an alt and have all media and music streams off in the audio section of your viewer preferences and see if you get detected then..

if they can't scan you they can't know you if that is how they are seeing who you are..

it's just something to try to eliminate that from the equation..that or it may work and you know how they are doing it now..

by having those turned off i mean uncheck those boxes an also if you are not using one..try using a viewer with media and stream filters just to be safe..

After being sure neither your avatar or PC are bugged, find a new home where you are allowed to use ban lines, then only allow access to people on the access list.  That way his alts can't go on it.  If you have that now use your ban lines and access list, then sweep for possible bugs that may be planted on it, using the script information in the Parcel Details/About Land.  If  you have neighbors, ask all the ones within 96 m of your property line to check their land for bugs and to ban him and all known alts from their parcel.

Other than that, ban, mute, and derender him and all known alts.  Delete any calling cards you may have in your inventory connected to him.  Also consider contacting the FBI's cyber crime unit too as well as your local police.  LL tends to act faster and more efficiently when the authorities get involved.

Jenni Darkwatch wrote:

LL won't get into that kind of dispute I don't think, unless there's some _active_ harrassment and they can see it in their logs.

No they should. I can't say they will, and above it looks like they aren't here for some reason... But by their TOS they will.

Just start ARing for harrasment, and mute them. AR anytime you see one of them in the same sim as you when not in a public venue... and if they approach you somewhere public.

He had my main, who i reactivated, banned from Franks. He put somethings into local like me and my new BF were actually saying them. No name was before ours. But, what he put did have timestamps on them. The timestamps showed what my BF said was hours before what I said. And what was said was hours before when it actually happened. 2 days before this happened, my BF got an IM from an alt.

Other then this there has been no recent contact except the same alts showing up on the sim over and over. Sometimes 2 & 3 times a day!!.

This last alt I made, absolutely no one knows about her. I havent been anywhere I normally go. See no one I normally see & talk to. I am totally alone.

With this lastest alt, I dont listen or watch any media. I check profiles before speaking to anyone because I know there is rigged viewers that give location info.

I guess my next move will be to ditch this computer for a new one.

I just want to be left alone to have a nice SL experience!!!

Take your computer in a local shop, such as Best Buy in the USA, and have them reformat your hard drive and re-install your operating system.

Then buy some good anti-virus protection.

You'll lose all your files - you could make backups if you need them, but don't touch those until after you've got all that anti-virus stuff going.

If you were computer savvy I'd suggest reformatting at home, and reinstalling from any backups that came with the computer.

If you have reason to believe this person has ever been in your home - it would be time to get super paranoid with hiring someone to come over and de-snoop the place.

If police would take online stalking seriously, or if they do where you live, get them over... the kind of stalking described goes to that length... and if it were me, I'd want them involved at this point.

I've been stalked before across web forums over a period of 5 years in the late 90s... was very frustrating - but my stalker finally got a job as an online community rep, and so I posted up evidence of him on his own employer's community portal - and that ended it.

J.B.  There are free programs on the web that can detect and remove Trojans from your system. Keep filing AR and mute the guy.....Also, check all of your clothing, objects, etc for bugs that he may have planted/given to you with an object.

Keep me informed....this guy sounds like a nutcase.....:mansurprised:

I have AR'd a couple quiet a few times. They are still there. I have started AR'ing every time I see one I know is him. lol..Im getting paranoid at this point. But when you see the same name pop up on 2 different sims. One from the top secret alt and the other on a known avie, kind of makes you wonder.

/me hates empty profiles.

I am finding out just how big of a nut case he is. I have seen up to 8 alts he uses regularly with GF's on 3 of them at the same time. I steer clear of any known hangouts of his.

I know he knows computers very well and its totally possible he could have put something in mine. I knwo he has never been in my actual RL house for a fact.

Sadly I don't really think your paranoid. I think police don't take this seriouslu enough yet cause its "on teh interwebs wit teh lolcats'...

I'm serious when I suggest a hard-drive reformat. If you're in the states, go to Best Buy and ask them to rip it apart and put it back together. If you don't trust that the underpaid staff there will actually wipe your drive, put refrigerator magnets all over your hard-drive for a day or two first - until it fails to turn on... Magents will wipe a drive, but it might take a very strong one to get into there, and most people don't have that.

Alternatively...

New hard drives are cheap. If you have a desktop, take the one you have and remove it. Save it in a baggy so it won't get dusty, away from magenets - evidence if you ever need a police report.

Buy a new one, and then go to Best Buy and have them re-build your machine... If your computer didn't come with CDs, might need to figure out getting the backup of Windows somehow first... and most new computers don't...

Has any of this -ever- gone beyond SL? Any odd emails, RL letters, or anything? If you've got even one such thing - don't hesitate to call police. Once those buggers have something they understand, they're a lot less likely to be dismissive.

I haven't received anything in RL. I have moved since he poofed and changed my cell #. As far as I know no one else has heard anything either. Its like he wants to terrorize me and run me off SL totally. But who knows what people like this are capable of. 

I have a DELL, so I think Id have to  *shivers* contact their support line for the windows app. :(  But the bright side of that, I could get rid of Vista. :D

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and ideas.....

Jaclyn Bouevier wrote:

I haven't received anything in RL. I have moved since he poofed and changed my cell #. As far as I know no one else has heard anything either. Its like he wants to terrorize me and run me off SL totally. But who knows what people like this are capable of. 

I have a DELL, so I think Id have to  *shivers* contact their support line for the windows app.
:(
  But the bright side of that, I could get rid of Vista.
:D

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and ideas.....

Almost all computers today have a back up image of the OS and provided shovel ware on a separate partition which you can do a reformat from.  You are also allowed to burn one copy of that to a disc (DVD).  Very few people do but it is a wise thing to do.  The last HP Lap Top I did that for someone  it took 3 DVD's. 

Do a search through your computer's help menu for 'recovery.'  You should be able to find the instructions and they are pretty simple to follow.

Join the club ,, don't brother with RL cops less you feel you are not safe,,why would I say that truth is if you live in a small town like me you most likely have cops that don't know anything about stalkers online laws,, and they would just why don't you just not play on a stupid game * I know sl not a game *but they will say that n LOL at same time being less work for them,,2 I know its get old reporting the hell out this guy,,but I do wonder why he hadt been ban if he is breaking the TOS,,dring me to a other point is LL just sitting on there ass with all the stalking going on hmm you got me I don't know ,, but have you thought of seeing a lawyer ? I know it sound silly but if LL wont enforce there TOS what left to do get a lawyer on there ass or leave ,sorry I know that not what you hopping to hear but really what left you file AR after AR and he still bugging you

• 2 months later...

Nobody can read your IMs as long as your computer or connection is not hacked by anyone (not highly possible your stalker has that much knowledge and the stuff to do such thing).

The other option is, that some third persons told him about what you were talking in IM or send him a coby of the chatlog (which is against the TOS).

What make you think he can read your IMs?

• 8 months later...