I'm curious about land and how to get teraform rights

DjWhiteBoi

Question

If terraforming permission has not been granted at the sim level by the owner, then you can't terraform at the parcel level.  Even then, whether you can terraform your parcel can depend on whether you own it or are renting, perhaps as a member of a group.  Here's a good overview of terraforming >>> https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Terraforming

3 answers to this question

If terraforming permission has not been granted at the sim level by the owner, then you can't terraform at the parcel level.  Even then, whether you can terraform your parcel can depend on whether you own it or are renting, perhaps as a member of a group.  Here's a good overview of terraforming >>> https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Terraforming

If she purchased the land on mainland either from Linden lab or a resident and if she pays her tier directly to Linden Lab monthly (for a plot larger than 512 square meters), then she does own the land.......and she will have terraforming rights on the land.  If she purchased the land from a resident on private estate land and pays tier (rent) to the resident, then she does not own the land.........the person she "purchased" the land from does.  Many estate owners "sell" the land which is really just some up front money you pay......sort of like paying your landlord a month or two advanced rent (but not really........just that idea).  She will have to get the permissions to terraform from the landlord.

I believe she is really just renting from an estate owner and does not own the land.  My opinion on estate owners that pull this scam should be able to be AR'd for abuse..........but it's perfectly legal as far as the ToS is concerned.  If you buy land directly from LL or another resident and it is mainland then when you click on about land your name would be shown as the owner.

• Like 1

I don't agree with Peggy that "selling" a parcel on a private estate is a scam.  But it IS very confusing.  On a private estate, you do "own" the land in the sense that you can, if the estate owner allows it, have all land management rights.  But in effect, you are renting the land from the estate owner, who collects your tier (and in turn, pays HER tier to LL).  Just as Linden Lab does on the mainland, on a private estate the estate owner makes the rules, and is next to God.  She can, if she doesn't like you, kick you off with no warning and no refund.  However most estate owners are honest, fair, and want to keep their tenants happy so they can stay in business.

What was the point I was going to make?  Oh yes...if you are on private estate land, you don't need a Premium membership.  You can have one of course...that weekly stipend is nice.  But you don't NEED one.